Any thoughts on this smash recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
15 lbs marris otter, 3 oz in the boil of el dorado and 1 oz to dry hop I am still figuring out how much to use per addition. And I'm using wlp002, I'll admit I just kinda winged it here so I could use some advice on my hop schedule. Please and Thank you!!!

Seems high gravity and mega high IBU's. I am at 1.074 and 112 IBU's for a 5 gallon batch

I'd go to 13# and 2oz max in the boil

^ this looks a bit better but why over-complicate the hops with the .7 and 1.3? Just do 1 oz FWH, 1 oz at 30 min, 1 oz at 5, and 1 oz dry hop.

I'd definitely stick to 10# grain. 15 is a lot.

I cant say i'm familliar with el dorado hops.
Fuggles go really well with M.O.
Happy brewing.

I like to keep the bitter in apa range so I suggested .7oz fwh. and I like the dry hop fresh aroma so I suggested 1.3oz. I didnt think that was too complicated. ..you have to weight them out on way or another.

with smash brews I also find the 30 min hop a waste imo...I tend to add my hops at 15min to flameout...just my preference

Well it's looking like this will be a hop bomb .5 at 60 .5 at 45 1oz at 30-15 and flame out. I'm very new to this and just winged it. I am using wlp002 so it should have some residual sweetness to balance out the bitterness. That and the fact that I pitched a healthy 2 l starter and have a ferm chamber, it should come out drinkable at the very least at least that's what I hope.

I vote for skipping 45 and 30 - do an ounce at 60, 1oz at 10, 1oz at flameout, let steep for a bit before starting the cooling regimen, then the last oz as dryhop.

Back