Any Suggestions for a 7% IPA using partial LME and DME??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshbrew07

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So as confessed, I am a sucker for all IPA's. I think the best one straight up(at least in my neck of the woods in the ATL) is Sweetwater IPA. The first beer I did,was an IPA kit, and it actually came out to be a good clone of that beer. I am pretty sure I will go rely heavily on Cascade hops - because thats what I had used in that batch.

So what I did is I order 18 pounds of Extra Light Bulk Extract Canadian from listermann.com, figuring I could mix in a fraction of that in each batch I do(to cut some cost obviously)

The goal is to have 7% content, with a heavy hop taste (cascade). I would think maybe mix 4-5 lbs of that extra light LME and combine it with some DME and a mix of grains to steep - I would be interested if anyone has a good recipe to fill in the uncertainties... I guess I would need bittering hop suggestion, how much/type of DME to add, and type of grains to steep. I guess yeast if you have a preferred one for a good hoppy IPA - I usually use a liquid yeast from white labs. Definately going to use some cascade primarily, unless I hear something else that is good, doing a 5 gallon batch with a 3 gallon boil...let me know what you guys think!
:mug:

Why do you want to use DME and the bulk LME you purchased? Why not just use the LME?

My newbie suggestion would be:
9# LME
.5# caramel 60
.5# Victory
1 oz Centennial 60
1oz Chinook 30
1 oz Cascades 10 and flame out
2oz of your favorite dry hop

Use a recipe generator to mix up your hops to get the IBUs you desire. I like lots of flavor and aroma so I like to add plenty of late addition and dry hops.

I would also suggest adding half or more of your LME in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Craig

[edit] Oh and there are lots of good recommendations for SafAle S-04 and US-05. S-04 is an English Ale yeast and US-05 is an American. These will also save you some costs and should produce great beers.

That's a good point, I definately will have to give that batch a try - I've brewed 3 ipa/double ipa's so far and a triple belgium - so I figured I post this up here to get some ideas cause I am probably going to brew one or two different style IPA's this weekend - keep the suggestions coming!

Back