Any other backpacking/outdoor enthusiasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
My two boys are really getting into backpacking, which thrills me. But some of my gear is old to very old: I think I'm retiring my tent and my possibly my backpack between now and next season, which I think might begin in March on the Ouachita trail in Arkansas.

Anyone have particular brand loyalties or anti-loyalties they want to share? I bought a nicely-priced sleeping bag from Alps Mountaineering this spring...I might be inclined to purchase other gear from them. A lot of the companies (Kelty, Sierra Designs, Marmot, etc) are owned by the same parent companies, so it's hard to tell their products apart sometimes, and I'm not sure how much real price competitoin there is.

I recommend REI.com.
Become a member.
Prices are sometimes higher but they have an amazing return policy and the sales people know what they are doing. Advice is unbiased.
Closest store to you would be STL.

I like REI and campmor. Back in the day we used to have to use paper catalogs with drawings of stuff to mailorder things!

OTOH, I bought a dana designs backpack from an independent camping store and it's really held up well over the years. I've had two Sierra Designs tents and both leaked from day one (don't ask me why I ever bought the second).

Baron von BeeGee said:
I like REI and campmor. Back in the day we used to have to use paper catalogs with drawings of stuff to mailorder things!

OTOH, I bought a dana designs backpack from an independent camping store and it's really held up well over the years. I've had two Sierra Designs tents and both leaked from day one (don't ask me why I ever bought the second).

hmmm... I've had great success with both of my Sierra Designs tents. I've been through some pretty gnarly rainstorms in both of them. My two man did leak once on a night that my buddy and me will always remember as the "worst storm that we've ever slept through in a tent". It was in Palo Duro canyon in Texas and it was one of those storms that even if you had of been in your house you'd have been a little worried. It was raining sideways!

Did you use seam sealer? Pitch it right? Just get unlucky? Maybe I just got lucky!

Anyway, as for getting new gear, I'd like to echo what HB Bill said. Yeah, there are a lot neat new backpacking items out there, but you should consider holding onto any old quality gear you have.

Oh yeah, Sierra trading post is a great place to go for good deals on close out equipment.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Did you use seam sealer? Pitch it right? Just get unlucky? Maybe I just got lucky!
Yep, I always seam seal my new tents even if they've been factory sealed. Just AR, I guess. I even tried spraying the flies with waterproofing. Nothing could stop those tents from leaking in the mildest of sprinkles, and I had another buddy with a third style of SD tent that also leaked. We ultimately analyzed the leaks as design flaws. I've had great luck with my Mountain Hardwear 4-man and I'll probably go for a 2-man once my impending spawn is old enough to do some hiking (thinking in advance here).

rei is only a retailer

here are a few ideas

clothing:
Mountain Hardware
Marmot
The North Face
Patagonia

sleeping bags:
Mountain Hardware
Marmot

Packs:
Dana Designs
Osprey
Go-Lite

Boots:
vasque
Asolo

Tents:
MSR
Go-Lite
Sierra Designs

None of this stuff is cheap but it's all very high quality.

BT

if you are in the market for a new tent may I suggest the Hubba Hubba by MSR it's under five pounds 3 person 3 season. That's my next purchase.

I just got a new sleeping bag this spring. Mountain Hardware 32 degree Down bag, this thing will almost stuff into a wide mouth Nalgene bottle...amazing!

olllllo said:
They have their own line of equipment too and it is high quality. (I'll concede that they have others make it.)

Agreed!

I don't know how long your trips are going to be but carrying enough water for more than two days can be extremely heavy. I've been using the MSR Mini-Works filtration device and I've no problems with at all, it screws right onto a nalgene bottle.

Man, I could talk backpacking for hours!

image-227502-10377120
REI has 25% off select items with Code: THANK2U Exp 7/28

bootytrapper said:
Agreed!

I don't know how long your trips are going to be but carrying enough water for more than two days can be extremely heavy. I've been using the MSR Mini-Works filtration device and I've no problems with at all, it screws right onto a nalgene bottle.

Man, I could talk backpacking for hours!

My buddy has one of those and I like it, but I kind of prefer my PUR sweetwater. Have you seen some new one they're (MSR) making where you put water in the filter and it does something to it (deionizing or something) then you mix it with your canteen full of "dirty" water and it purifies it all? I read a short blurb about it the other day and it sounds pretty cool.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
My buddy has one of those and I like it, but I kind of prefer my PUR sweetwater. Have you seen some new one they're (MSR) making where you put water in the filter and it does something to it (deionizing or something) then you mix it with your canteen full of "dirty" water and it purifies it all? I read a short blurb about it the other day and it sounds pretty cool.

You must be talking about this one! It looks pretty sweet, although I think I'd rather have the virus' and whatnot completely removed from my drinking water, not just inactivated.

This one is pretty wild too, it seem you just put it into your water for a few while it does it's thing.

ive used campmor and rei in the past without any troubles, id reccomend both.

Back