Any kit recomendations for a Scottish Wee Heavy Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I want to brew a scottish wee heavy ale, and was just wondering it anybody had brewed any of the kits available, and which one were any good.

Or If there is any good extract recipies. I am doing a brewers best red ale this weekend, so I should have some good nottingham ale yeast ready if thats any good for this type of ale. Im planing on letting this age for a good 6 month which I hear is good for this type of beer.

Check out my NY Maple Scottish Ale recipe I posted yesterday in the recipe section. It was resting for 6 months until I kegged it last Tuesday. The 68 degree, flat taste test nearly floored me, so damn tasty! I'll be posting some tasting notes this weekend as I start drinking the (mostly) carbed version...

northernbrewer.com has a good Scottish Wee Heavy. One key is to be patient. The yeast that shipped with this was the Nottingham and during the time that I brewed it was when everyone was having problems with it. However, I went ahead with the Notty, didn't have any active fermentation for over 72 hours... threw in some US-05 and it took off within about a day. It didn't end up attenuating fully, so it was a bit sweet. As it continued to age in the bottle, though, it got better and by the time I was down to my last 6-pack it was pretty darn tasty.

Back