Any ideas on what to do with a stainless steel ( wort chiller) ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikethepoolguy

Reaction score
Imagine your wort chiller, only made from stainless. Thats what I have, but the stainless has a heat conductance of about 1/10th of copper. It will still help, but any better ideas? I cant post pics until I have 25 posts or 25 dollars.

Sell the chiller on HBT for $25.00+Shipping and then you can post pics! :rockin:

Remember the rate of heat transfer is dependent on the difference in temperature. pump ice water through it.

Alternatively, if you really don't want to use it as a chiller you could probably use it as a coil in a jocky box.

Personally, I would use it.

Imagine your wort chiller, only made from stainless. Thats what I have, but the stainless has a heat conductance of about 1/10th of copper. It will still help, but any better ideas? I cant post pics until I have 25 posts or 25 dollars.

FYI, you can post pics by going to www.imgur.com, uploading your photo, copying the link with

Make a chiller out of copper, and use the stainless one for the coil on a "pot still" project!

Thanks for so many quick replies, you have already got my mental gears turning. This site has already been well worth the membership upgrade that I will be puchasing soon. I love this site, its why I go to work each day.

There is a minimal difference in thermal properties between ss and copper at those thicknesses. The ss tube is typically thinnner walled than the copper in those sizes because it is so much stiffer. Mine works great.

Imagine your wort chiller, only made from stainless. Thats what I have, but the stainless has a heat conductance of about 1/10th of copper. ...

1/10th is way off. SS will be more like 94% as efficient as copper in that same design.

I see a lot of confusion and misinformation when it comes to thermal issues.

The main thing that many people miss is that we are usually talking about a system. In this case, a system of tubing (length, radius, wall thickness, thermal properties, etc), a coolant liquid (temperature, thermal properties, flow rates, turbulence, etc), and the warm liquid. Just quoting a thermal conductivity spec for one component does not tell you much (if anything) about how that affects the performance of the system.

As mentioned a few times above (Hermit & bendavanza), the thinness of the SS helps to offset the lower thermal conductivity of SS versus copper.

But the bigger point is, the thermal conductivity of the material is not really a major limiting factor in immersion chiller design. I ran some numbers once, not sure I could find them now. Larger diameter tubing can help because you have more cold surface, only a small part is due to the increased thermal conductivity with more material.

In short, using a material with 10x of some performance number does not mean 10x the performance in the system (or even 2x, or 1.1x).

Plug a night light into a 6 foot extension cord. Now plug it into the same gauge 12 foot extension cord. It won't be half as bright, it won't even lose 1% of its brightness, even though the electrical conductivity has been cut in half. Because the electrical conductivity of that extension cord is not the limiting factor in that system. Gotta look at the whole system.

edit: for reference - http://www.engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm

Copper is over 20x 'better' at conducting heat than the same thickness SS. Important if that is your limiting factor.

-kenc

Back