Any free internet radio stations you like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have XM radio on my new car. I love it, but I'm not going to buy a subscription for my house or cottage. Do you know of any good internet radio stations? How about some that would work on dial-up (uggh- but that's what I have at my cottage)?

We like mostly alternative stuff- we listen alot to Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, etc. I guess older alternative, but newer stuff too.

I'd like to find a good mix of harder alternative and some softer stuff- maybe Jerry Cantrell followed by REM? Nine Inch Nails followed by Chris Cornell? You know, just to mix it up a bit.

Try Pandora- though the free option requires you to click on your screen once in a while. You might want to get WinAmp to play radio streams, I think it works better than Windows Media Player, and it's free. I believe once you install it, it will have links to lots of stations.

+1 for Pandora.

And as for your XM they've got online streaming as part of my plan. When they started charging separately for it they renewed my subscription and that included free online until the subscription expired. I think they did that with most current subscribers. Just a thought if you wanted to keep Lithium and Alt Nation.

Pandora limits you to 40 hours per month IIRC... unless you pay a very small fee. If I recall correctly, it is $36/year (Ad-free) or $.99/month with ads for unlimited.

As far as I know last.fm does not have any subscription fee but I just started using this site.

I use both of these.

Pandora is totally worth $1 a month, IMO. I blow much more than that on much more stupid stuff every month.

I like that you can tailor you music very easily. You can also download podcasts for basic brewing radio, and BN stuff and play that on your computer. I'm checking out the water series right now. Confusing stuff, but something I should probably start thinking about.

Delicious Agony - Progressive Rock Radio

Almost all of the music I've bought over the last several years I heard there.
So glad the RIAA thing didn't go through.
I've also been a regular in chat for some shows on there. Made some good friends.
Sent a bunch o' apfelwein out to CalProg last year since I couldn't afford to go.
Yes, they love me now.

I use last.fm and radioIO which have multiple channels. I also pay the extra $3.95 a month for SiriusXM internet access. It's reasonable if you really like the content.

Radio Paradise is good "adult contemporary" though doesn't sound like your cup of tea. Try luxuriaMusic.com for kitschy 60s pop when you're in goofy mood.

I do the free Pandora, and never had any limitations on how much I can listen. They did start doing some ad spots between songs.

Last.fm isn't bad either. Their toolbar makes it easier to use. But the audio seems to be taken from poor recordings, at least on the Classical music, so I went back to Pandora.

Pandora limits you to 40 hours per month IIRC... unless you pay a very small fee. If I recall correctly, it is $36/year (Ad-free) or $.99/month with ads for unlimited.

As far as I know last.fm does not have any subscription fee but I just started using this site.

I use both of these.

Yup. Pandora lets you listen to 40 hours for free.

FAQ

I love it though.

Pandora rules. Most radio stations have free live-streaming. Also can't go wrong with loading up and ipod and getting one of those speaker setups. Small, portable, no commercials, play what you like.

Yooper and Others -

I'm a big fan of Live365.com - has a great mix of stations, both professional and amateur. Great fun. I subscribe, but there is also free access, I believe. And the sound quality is good, imho. The stations i've got bookmarked play: adult alternative, top 40, techno/downbeat, mandolin bands, old-time Appalachian, Arabian pop, and baroque.

Back