Any Decent Temp controllers from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionalChaos

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I think I'm getting some gift certs to Home Depot pretty soon, and looking to spend them on brewing upgrades. A ferm chamber and cooler based MLT are on the list. I'm eventually planning a electric HLT too, but the other things seem to take priority over that. Are there any temp controllers I can find at these types of stores that will work? Just thought I would ask! Thanks!

not unless you want to modify a home thermostat with a solid state relay to turn on/off something like a fridge.

I would put it towards a chest freezer or build parts for a son-of-fermentor for your fermentor chamber needs.

Look at the packaging.
If they can't state the level of accuracy you want then they are not going to be good.

Well, I see an assortment of thermostats, but they don't switch between heating and cooling.. its one or the other.. so that kinda rules them out I think.. Ferm chamber seems a great way to go, but I don't know where I'll store it inside yet.. maybe store it outside :p

Can you trade the certs for cash value?

If not, you could probably get rid of them on craigslist if the cash would serve you better. I've bought HD and Lowes cards on craigslist before, usually people post them for about .85-.90 on the dollar, with more or less depending on how quickly you want to move the cards. You'll probably have to meet the buyer at the store to verify the amount on the card unless there is a phone number for checking card balance on the back of the card.

I'm not worried about being able to spend the certs at the store. There are plenty of things I can use. Tools, supplies, etc., etc.. Just trying to figure out what my best bet is. It would be nice to get everything I need for a ferm chamber, but maybe I'll just pick up the insulation for that project. Then plan on finding a fridge on craigs to cool it, and a temp controller for the fridge.. I can spend the rest I'm sure on a cooler + hw for MLT. If I still have stuff to burn there are components for an eHLT, or look at a small keezer setup, etc.. no worries on that stuff..

I definietly go with a chest freezer. you can get a 7 cu ft for around 200, and then you still need a temp controller but at least you have a keezer started...

Cooler, freezer, copper tubing for an IC or CFC (plus hi temp hose for cfc), fittings for MLT etc if you are ok with brass, Camco element for E HLT, wire, GFI breaker/adapter/etc for E HLT

Attic fan controller, line voltage, you will need two one for hot one for cool about 24.00 each over by the roof vents and attic fans.

Back