Any crane operators out there????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
I have a question or two I need to ask in prep for a grievance meeting if you would be willing to help... Message me or post and ill message you. Thanks

Lol... i was just actually wondering if ncco cert mentions a max boom angle while driving a rough terrajn crane.... i am certified but dont remember.... i had one of our new operators almost hit high voltage lines.. hook snagged new fiber optic run.

Company is tryi.g to blame the operator. Im trying to focus it on his inexperience and the company not properly informing him of low wires

I dunno. I've only had forklift licenses. The rule there while traveling is to keep the forks only high enough to clear obstacles. I think 6" is the rule of thumb on flat surfaces. In our telescopic boom lift, while traveling we keep the boom in the full down position if at all possible.

I see our terex crane operators also travel in an unloaded crane with the boom in the full down position and hook block secured.

Company is trying to blame the operator. I'm trying to focus it on his inexperience and the company not properly informing him of low wires

Is this guy you? Just had to ask.

Whenever anything heavy duty comes in to play it is up to the person using it and who ever they work for to have a brief on the dangers and awareness of the surroundings.

Many years ago a friend of mine who was a helicopter pilot crashed into a string of power lines. The lines hit the top of the main rotor blades. The helicopter went out of control and plunged to the earth. Everybody died. He was giving an area familiarization ride to a new pilot and he was a seasoned pilot.

He didn't know of the new addition of the power lines. His company might have but didn't tell him. Sad all around.

No, it wasn't me, i am the grievance chair and just trying to find a defence for the individual. I'm a licensed operator as well however, been driving about 4 years. It is a small 15 ton 60 ft telescopic boom.

Sad story. My first response to the situation was that it was an experienced operator and the company never provided that hazard training. They just assumed he knew. The good thing is there were no injuries

I used to operate heavy equipment (including cranes) years ago, but my job wasn't union and I never had to deal with an incident like this. I sorta grew up in the business so I was driving various equipment from the time my feet could reach the pedals.

That being said, don't they have to get OSHA training as part of the certification process, and doesn't that training include knowing about power lines?

In defense I would check to see if the cable was at the proper height. I only know that the highest cables are usually the high power ones, the lowest are cable or phone. I would check if there was any type of code for the minimum height. I can envision the original power cables at minimum height and then cable has to go below those . Maybe the height was low? Good luck with the defense.

Latest posts

Back