Anvil Foundry stuck mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmtz1

Reaction score
Brewed an an all grain batch and quickly realized I had a stuck mash. I had to move the grain from the bottom to get wort to flow. Realized my grain was milled too fine. When I pulled the grain basket, I had to again move the grain to get wort to flow out and into the kettle.
Long story short, finished boiling, chilled, pitch Yeast and have it fermenting in fermentation chamber.

My question is if I should dump this batch and start fresh? Ended with 4.6 gallons in fermentation chamber and gravity within what was expected. Would the the frequent moving of the stuck grain affect the beer quality/flavor?

Thanks in advance!

So it's not exactly going to be a "LoDO" batch ;) but there's zero reason to dump it.
Instead, you should celebrate getting within margin of your expected OG after such a harrowing session and anticipate the results! :mug:

Cheers!

Awesome, thanks! Guess I'll run with it and see what happens.

It was a everything-goes-wrong brew day. Learned the recirculation pipe is hot because I'm dumb. I also learned not to keep the lid on the Anvil while boiling. Wort popped off the recirculation pipe then shot out of the little whole like a geyser, wetting my garage wall with it. Then when I was chilling it with the immersion chiller, my heavy duty pump shot out the output line because of course I forgot to put a hose clamp on the barb, so my garage ceiling was covered in coldish/warmish water. Guess I'll name this batch Murphy's Law Lager.

Let it ride. Most oxygen in there will have boiled off and the rest will be taken up by the yeast.
It may not be 100% ideal, but it happens all the time.
Next time, either look for a larger crush (did you crush yourself or was t milled at the store / where you got it?) or throw a pound or so of rice hulls in there.

Be sure to limit the pump flow, they supply a clamp to put in the hose (output side). And stir the mash, always use rice hulls!

Back