Anvil Foundry, Going to Brewer’s He!! For This.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

Reaction score
Has anybody used their Anvil Foundry for anything other than brewing? I’ve used it for chili, spaghetti sauce and sous vide. The last not that terrible but just wondering if anyone else has committed this sin against the grain gods.

Sous vide sounds cool. I would tend to not use it for chili, spaghetti or other foods that could "stain" the stainless steel. Certainly not the basket.

On second thought, perhaps I could be talked into using the boiler alone, if it were some way cool event or a cool experiment. But a big ass bowl of spaghetti? Nope.

I was nervous at first but we had a big gathering so I thought why not. Staining was not an issue, a little PBW and it’s as good as new. Certainly won’t be a weekly thing but when the size of the group dictates it, I will do it again.

This is not an endorsement for other use, although sous vide is harmless, don’t want anybody ruining their Foundry.

Has anybody used their Anvil Foundry for anything other than brewing? I’ve used it for chili, spaghetti sauce and sous vide. The last not that terrible but just wondering if anyone else has committed this sin against the grain gods.
Dude… that is just wrong.:no:

Man, what you sous vide-ing in that thing? A whole pig?

I've got a 10 liter sous vide bath with a hinged top and was able to fit a 7#, three rib standing rib roast in last weekend. A whole turkey breast was too much last Fall, but an old 3+ gallon boil pot for extract brews worked fine. Didn't have to clean my electric all-in-one either.

I've got a 10 liter sous vide bath with a hinged top and was able to fit a 7#, three rib standing rib roast in last weekend. A whole turkey breast was too much last Fall, but an old 3+ gallon boil pot for extract brews worked fine. Didn't have to clean my electric all-in-one either.

Almost 20lbs of beef tenderloin. Like I said there were a lot of people and some didn’t pull their weight only option was the Foundry.

Almost 20lbs of beef tenderloin. Like I said there were a lot of people and some didn’t pull their weight only option was the Foundry.

PM your address. I'll be over shortly to help out 🐂 🥩 😋.

Here's my prime rib after the chine and rib bones were removed (the family Boxer went nuts!). Sous vide at 135F for 6 hours, finished for 4 minutes with frequent turning over a 700F gas grill, and yes, there were a LOT of flare-ups, though the only thing that got seared was the beef.

20200107_183709.jpg

Here's my prime rib after the chine and rib bones were removed (the family Boxer went nuts!). Sous vide at 135F for 6 hours, finished for 4 minutes with frequent turning over a 700F gas grill, and yes, there were a LOT of flare-ups, though the only thing that got seared was the beef.

View attachment 732322
Pictures are useless unless I can taste it. :rock: :mug:
Looks great, I always have a baked potato with my prime rib!

Using the foundry you don't need a SV stick, the foundry does the temp control. :mug:

Using the foundry you don't need a SV stick, the foundry does the temp control. :mug:
I've been brewing with a Braumeister all-in-one for the past eight years and really like the flexibility. I'd thought about trying a large sous vide prep in it, but the downside is all the temperatures are in Celsius so I'm looking at +/- nearly 3 degrees lower accuracy for cooking while the sous vide sick is accurate to within 0.1 degree F. Probably not a big issue as long as I'm not trying to do something rare below 130F where a few degrees too cold might not allow proper Pastuerization, and too warm might make the meat more medium than rare.

I sure do love the process though. We use it several times a week, and have for the last couple of years. Last night was Ahi tuna, rare, finished on a super hot Blackstone griddle for 45 seconds per side. The finished product:

20210613_190048.jpg

I’ve used mine for sous vide more often than I’ve brewed on it.

Going to break out the 20 gallon Blichmann for Corn tomorrow and perhaps beer brats in the Anvil if there is not enough room on the grill.

View attachment 732322

Had prime rib last night and this picture makes me feel like i ate an eye of round steak

Back