Anti-sediment pouring cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbatch_brew

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been brewing for a little over 12 months and one thing that is always a little bug bear of mine is the sediment that finds it's way into my glass when I pour from the bottle. I'm not too worried - but when serving my homebrew to guests they nearly always comment on it.
I'm wondering whether you guys would see value in an anti-sediment cap that sits on top of your flip top and catches the sediment as you pour your beer out? Would this be something you'd see value in?

Cheers,
Matt

Leave the last 1/2 oz in the bottle, problem solved.

You'd have to have a fine filter on there which would probably clog with the last 1/2 oz of beer anyway. Then you'd have to wash it out prior to pouring another beer. That's more work than is worth it to me.

Also, don't shake or swirl the bottle too much before uncapping, so that the sediment stays undisturbed before decanting as mentioned above.

There is an art to pouring a home brew and leaving all the sediment in the bottle. No doo dad, gizmo, or widget, is needed, just proper technique.

Letting the beer sit in primary for a minimum of two weeks and cold crash before packaging has always minimized sediment for me.
That and I re-yeast at bottling time with a yeast that forms a fine layer and packs tightly to the bottom.
Most beers even if poured straight in are perfectly clear and clumps or floaties are never an issue.

A few years ago @uniondr reviewed a sediment trapping cap in a YouTube video. Forget whether it was a thumbs up or thumbs down for it.

Back