Another Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C17-EHSE

Reaction score
I just brewed a pale ale (extract) using:

7 lbs pale LME
1 lb 60L Crystal malt
1 lb flaked rye.

I tried to do a mini mash with the grains. I think I did a reasonably good job.

Now to the point. My expected OG was supposed to be around 1.062. The actual was around 1.072. I pitched in one tube of White Labs California Ale WLP001. I forgot to add the yeast nutrients to the boil.

Fermentation appears to have started slowly, but since the gravity is higher than expected, should I add another vial of yeast, or just let this go?

Calc your ABV and make sure the yeast van handle it. If everything lines up let it go. I'm going to guess that it will survive and make a good brew, with a slightly higher ABV.

Calc your ABV and make sure the yeast van handle it. If everything lines up let it go. I'm going to guess that it will survive and make a good brew, with a slightly higher ABV.

According to their website (White Labs), they say it has a "high tolerance". Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm like every other noob. I worry too much.:eek:

Well, according to the pitching rate calculator, for an OG of 1.072 without a starter, you underpitched by about 1.8 vials, so a slow fermentation would be expected. Your beer should turn out just fine, but make yourself a starter next time if you're going to use liquid yeast, your beer will thank you for it.

Well, according to the pitching rate calculator, for an OG of 1.072 without a starter, you underpitched by about 1.8 vials, so a slow fermentation would be expected. Your beer should turn out just fine, but make yourself a starter next time if you're going to use liquid yeast, your beer will thank you for it.

OK, I'll look into that. This is only my second brew. I'm learning more each time. Thanks! BTW. It looks like it has taken off.

As much as I've read here, I should know better and just relax.

Back