Another "What would you call this?" Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcarter

Reaction score
Did a 14 liter boil last Sunday:

6 lb, Pilsen DME 15 minutes
1 lb. Wheat DME 15 minutes
2 oz. Galena AA 13.9% 10 minutes
1 tsp. Irish moss 5 minutes
Topped to 23 liters

US-05 11g dry yeast

Fermenting temperature 68F

OG 1.048

No dry hopping planned.

I am playing with ingredients rather than trying to make any style in particular, but I am curious what this would be "labelled" as.

OK, seriously - I just entered all this into Brewer's Friend recipe calculator, got an OG of 1.059 (?!?!?!?), calculated FG of 1.011, 6.25% ABV, 26 IBUs, and a recommendation of style as follows:

Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer (???), Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Holiday/Winter Special Spiced Beer, Other Smoked Beer, Wood-Aged Beer, Specialty Beer

I'd go with "Specialty Beer" out of all of those.

If you used a lager yeast, different story - then it becomes an American Pilsner.

What is US-05 usually for? You kind of have a Hefeweizen recipe, your just need about 50/50 of pils and wheat. I know this doesn't answer your question but that's what I'm seeing. I mean you have a lot of base malt with a dash of wheat for body and extra proteins. I don't know what that yeast is for but I'd assume that whatever style it is is going to be roughly what you get.

You could call it a cream ale, or a blonde, though the IBU may be a little too high. You could dry-hop it and call it an American Pale Ale. Regardless, sounds fine. Taste a sample when finished fermenting and see if it lacks character, if so consider an ounce of dry-hop as desired.

That is kind of what I am thinking as well.

Smells good, racked to secondary after 8 days, SG of 1.010, so a solid 5%.

Back