Another Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyH

Reaction score
I am storing my beer in one of the back bedrooms, which for the most part works out great. In the winter the bedrooms are between 70-72 F and in the summer I when kick on the AC I plan on getting one of those deflectors to put on the vent so it blows directly on the Fermentor, which(if I have the central air set to 74 F) should keep the beer at 70 F or so. But spring seems to be a PITA. Its 77 F in the house right now(76 F out). I really don't want to kick on the AC just for a couple of hours (especially since it is suppose to get down into the 40s F tonight). Will a few hours at 77 F cause much trouble? Is there any simple(cheap) way to stabilize the Temp? Is it only during active fermentation that off-flavors develop? Anything I have in the secondary or in bottle should be fine, right?:confused:

I really don't want to buy a fridge and temp control if I am only going to use it for a month or so.

Thanks,

MTH

I would think once fermentation is finished a short period of warmer temps wont hurt ya too much if at all. Most beer trucks I see arent chilled and living 5 minutes from Miller I see a lot of them

It takes a long time for water to change temperatures, so a few hours at 77 degrees shouldn't hurt anything. If you are worried about high temperatures during the course of the day and want to be safe, fill your tub up with cool water. The water will stabilize the temperature of your fermenter by remaining cooler than the air temp during the day and warmer at night.

Back