Another Stuck Fermentation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
I brewed Palmer's Belladonna Took's Oaked Mild for the second time on 6/15. The OG was 1.047. Right now the brew is sitting in primary at 1.016. Here is the recipe:

6 lbs of Maris Otter Pale malt
1 lbs Crystal 60
0.5 lbs Briess Special Roast
0.5 lbs Flaked Oatmeal (toasted at 350* for 30 min.)
0.5 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.25 lbs Chocoate malt

http://brewingtv.com/recipe/2011/9/23/belladonna-tooks-oaked-mild-john-palmer-recipe-for-btv.html

I mashed at 152 for 60 min and ran off till 1.010 collecting 7 gal. Boiled down to 6 and pitched a smackpack of Wyeast 1275 at 70*. Took about 24 hours to take off but was fine after that. I kept it around 68*.

Right now it's been stuck at 1.016 for a few days. Due to the low OG it's really throwing the flavor off and is pretty sweet. So far I have

* raised the ferm temp to 70
* swirled the bucket

I'm thinking about pitching some WY1056/WL001 to see if I can get those last few points. The first batch with the same process dropped to 1.010 with no problem. Does any one else have any advice or troubleshooting help?

With ~30% of special malts and flaked cereals 1.016 is not that high.
Raising the temperature and swirling may lower it a bit but I don't think re-pitching will make significant difference, I would wait few more days and bottle/keg it.

yeast will be yeast...

65% attenuation isnt horrible. Raising temps a bit and time might help. If you raised temp when your fermentation started slowing it might have been more effective.

With ~30% of special malts and flaked cereals 1.016 is not that high.
Raising the temperature and swirling may lower it a bit but I don't think re-pitching will make significant difference, I would wait few more days and bottle/keg it.

I know things can vary between batches but my previous batch got down to 1.010 with the same gain bill. I don't think this is a grain bill issue, especially with the same mash profile.

I normally aerate by dumping to wort back and forth between two buckets. I would tend to agree with W0rthog and blame my under-aeration.

Back