Another Stuck Fermentation Thread

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JediJoel

Reaction score
I brewed Palmer's Belladonna Took's Oaked Mild for the second time on 6/15. The OG was 1.047. Right now the brew is sitting in primary at 1.016. Here is the recipe:

6 lbs of Maris Otter Pale malt
1 lbs Crystal 60
0.5 lbs Briess Special Roast
0.5 lbs Flaked Oatmeal (toasted at 350* for 30 min.)
0.5 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.25 lbs Chocoate malt

http://brewingtv.com/recipe/2011/9/23/belladonna-tooks-oaked-mild-john-palmer-recipe-for-btv.html

I mashed at 152 for 60 min and ran off till 1.010 collecting 7 gal. Boiled down to 6 and pitched a smackpack of Wyeast 1275 at 70*. Took about 24 hours to take off but was fine after that. I kept it around 68*.

Right now it's been stuck at 1.016 for a few days. Due to the low OG it's really throwing the flavor off and is pretty sweet. So far I have

* raised the ferm temp to 70
* swirled the bucket

I'm thinking about pitching some WY1056/WL001 to see if I can get those last few points. The first batch with the same process dropped to 1.010 with no problem. Does any one else have any advice or troubleshooting help?

diS

Reaction score
With ~30% of special malts and flaked cereals 1.016 is not that high.
Raising the temperature and swirling may lower it a bit but I don't think re-pitching will make significant difference, I would wait few more days and bottle/keg it.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
yeast will be yeast...

65% attenuation isnt horrible. Raising temps a bit and time might help. If you raised temp when your fermentation started slowing it might have been more effective.

OP
J

JediJoel

Reaction score
With ~30% of special malts and flaked cereals 1.016 is not that high.
Raising the temperature and swirling may lower it a bit but I don't think re-pitching will make significant difference, I would wait few more days and bottle/keg it.
I know things can vary between batches but my previous batch got down to 1.010 with the same gain bill. I don't think this is a grain bill issue, especially with the same mash profile.

I normally aerate by dumping to wort back and forth between two buckets. I would tend to agree with W0rthog and blame my under-aeration.