Another side by side kegerator/fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semicole

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing - have only brewed a few batches. I've been having some issues with a sour smell to my last few batches and noticed my pantry is getting a little warm, so I decided to go ahead and make a fermentation chamber. My dad had this old fridge, so I got to work and knocked it out in a couple of days. Currently fermenting Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.

This is not my idea for what it's worth, I copied a lot of parts of other people's builds from a few different sites, most notably HBT, and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Here is a link to the album with pictures: https://imgur.com/a/vgyar

One of the issues I'm having right now is that the fan blowing air into the ferm side doesn't seem like it's pushing as much as it should when I have the freezer door shut. When the freezer door is open it opens the damper almost all of the way, but when the door is shut it doesn't lift it much at all. I'm guessing that it's because of the pressure in the freezer side, so I think I need to add another fan to pull air into the freezer side while the other pushes air over.

First off, this is a pretty cool project!

When the freezer door is open it opens the damper almost all of the way, but when the door is shut it doesn't lift it much at all. I'm guessing that it's because of the pressure in the freezer side, so I think I need to add another fan to pull air into the freezer side while the other pushes air over.

As for your issue...I think you're right.

I'd add a 2nd fan/damper towards the bottom (far away from the other one) to get the best circulation and daisy chain the wiring so they they kick on/off at the same time.

If it's not too much work, you might consider flipping around the fan/damper up to so cold air circulates into the bottom of the fridge and warm air goes out the top...but that would literally be "spending a dollar to save a nickle" as far as labor and electricity costs are concerned.

First off, this is a pretty cool project!

As for your issue...I think you're right.

I'd add a 2nd fan/damper towards the bottom (far away from the other one) to get the best circulation and daisy chain the wiring so they they kick on/off at the same time.

If it's not too much work, you might consider flipping around the fan/damper up to so cold air circulates into the bottom of the fridge and warm air goes out the top...but that would literally be "spending a dollar to save a nickle" as far as labor and electricity costs are concerned.
Thanks!

Yeah I am probably going to add that second fan this weekend. I just put a batch of EdWort's Kolsch in the fermenter last night, so I'd like to make sure it's got near perfect temps. I'll probably just leave the top fan setup as is just because I don't feel like doing a lot of work on it haha. I do see what you're saying though and that makes sense.

Back