another serving pressure/line length question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
I'm brand new to kegging and sure there are a million threads on this but I want to make sure I get this right. I want my IIPA at 2.2vol @41f

Line
3/16 id
10feet long
18" from center of keg to shank

How do I calculate this? Right now it's set at 12 psi.

That's a pretty good starting point assuming a temp of about 38-39*F.

I wouldn't fret too much about "calculating it". If this gives you the kind of pour and carb level you want, it's all good!

Use a carbonation chart to determine the psi on your regulator.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Since carbonation is strictly a function of temperature and pressure, if you look at the chart you see you need 10 psi at 41 degrees for 2.2 volumes of c02.

The line length doesn't matter. Well, it matters in the sense that you don't want to have them too short and have it come blasting out like a firehose but it doesn't impact carbonation. Longer lines do reduce foaming at higher pressures. But at 10-14 psi, 10-12 feet of 3/16" lines is perfect.

Thanks! I was under the impression that the more line you have, the more pressure you need to maintain your desired carb level. I guess it's more about flow rate.

Thanks guys. I was under the impression that the more line you have, the more pressure you need to maintain your desired carb level. I guess it's more about flow rate.

Yes, it is. The carbonation remains the same, but the flow rate can be slowed down to avoid excessive foaming.

You can start with 10-12' of line and that should be fine for carb levels up to about 15 psi or so at 41 degrees (rough guestimate off the top of my head).

Latest posts

Back