Another Recipe Cry For Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale_Jail

Reaction score
I am working on a chocolate oatmeal stout recipe and just wanted some feedback if anyone has any. Here is what I came up with. This is a BIAB recipe.

Batch Size: 5.5 Gal.
Boil Time: 60 Min
Efficiency: 72%
Est. OG: 1.061
Est. FG: 1.022
50.2 IBUs

7 lbs 13.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 60.6 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 7.7 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 7.7 %
12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) 5.8 %
12.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 5.8 %
9.7 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) 4.7 %
1.10 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 45.4 IBUs
0.55 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min 4.8 IBUs
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 15 min](0.0 SRM) 7.7 %
0.2 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]

Mash at 156 Degrees F for 60 min.

Thanks for your input! This is my first time coming up with one. I am using Beer Smith for help with this as well in coming up with my numbers such as IBUs and the SRM:mug:

If I were doing that to what I would like I would use more chocolate malt, less black malt, no wheat malt, maybe more flaked oats? Less Nugget. 45.4 seems high but I haven't looked at what is right for the style. I have only used Fuggle once. It was mixed with others so I can't say if that is the hop I would choose. I generally use the most similar one to a recipe that I have on hand.

.2 pkg of Nottingham??? Or did you mean 2 packs? For 1.061 you really only need one pack - rehydrated.

Added my thought.. I try not to make my recipes too complex so I stay with only 3 or 4 malts. I usually use one bittering hop and try to stick to 2 aroma/flavor hops.

Yeah...I just copied what beer smith had....I basically chopped up a couple recipes.....

It is supposed to be 1 package of batting ham yeast.

How much oats normally go into a good oatmeal stout? Is there an average to that?

As for the hops....I am not really sure how beer smith got that number. Using those two hops combined in a different recipe I was only around 34 IBUs I believe.

Will this recipe be pretty sweet? If it turns out the way I want it to, I am looking for a full bodied, creamy, beer with a sweet taste of chocolate and a hint of caramel.

My main concern is the amounts of chocolate malt, black pat., and oats to use. Thought about bringing the black down to 4 oz and upping the chocolate to 1.5 lbs. as for oats....it's a complete guess on that one.

Based on the ingredients used though....anyone have an opinion on if this would be a good tasting beer? Or do I have too much going on?

Nothing major sticks out to me, other than the following:

0.2 packages of Danstar yeast seems odd. That should be at least 1 pack.
The FG at 1.022 is a bit high. Oatmeal stouts (based on BJCP) are 1.010 - 1.018.

FWIW, it's hard to critique recipes unless there are major flaws in it (ie: using 80% roasted barley to make a light lager ;)) if no information is given as to what you expect out of the beer as there's a wide range of what's typically acceptable in most beers and people like different things.

Kal

The Lactose kinda makes this more of a milk stout, but that's just nitpicking. If it was me, I'd cut the wheat and that amount to the oats. Cut the black patent in half and replace with more chocolate malt. Hops look fine mostly, other than the IBU's seem high.

Also, anything with a pound of Lactose should be mashed lower, around 150-152, max. The Lactose will bring the mouthfeel, so no need to mash high.

If it was me I take the wheat and crystal malts out and use some Amber malt. Also if it was me id drop the chocolate malt by 8 ozs or take it out completely. Although my opinions biased I'm not a fan of chocolate malt. Its just not my thing.

I made this recipe a month ago https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=394244 but subbed MO and upped to 9lbs in a 5.5 gal batch:

9 lbs maris otter
1.5 lbs wheat malt
1 lb crystal 60L
0.75 lbs chocolate 350L
0.5 lb roasted barley 300L
0.5 lb lactose

Very balanced and tasty. If I were to do it again I would up the Roasted Barley 2 to 4oz and sub in some 120L for the 60L.

For your recipe, unless you really like oatmeal in a milk stout, I would only use wheat. I think 1 lb of lactose would be excessive, but 12oz would be fine. 1 lb of chocolate would probably work well with 12oz of black. So I'd ...

9 lbs pale
1.5 to 1.75 lbs of wheat/oatmeal
1 lb chocolate
10 to 12oz black
10 oz 60L
6 oz 120L
0.75 lb lactose

Thank you all for your help! I'll play around with it and let you know when I brew and how it turns out!

Next time your at the HB store taste the 120 and special B malts......you'll be putting one or the other in your stouts after! Especially awesome in an RIS!

Back