another quality update from my ass - re temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLivermore

Reaction score
I've posted a lot of borderline OCD questions over the months regarding dry hopping, as I've had some real crap beers. I was worried the cheapass kind-of marbles I bought in the dollar store had some reaction in the beer that was messing me up (despite the fact that I scrubbed them like crazy then sanitized before putting in the (sanitized) muslin sack w/ the hops for dry hopping).

ANYWAY now that it's cooled off I'm having a beer I made this way that is effing great and I think the real key is simply temp control, aided this time mostly by the fact that it's much cooler out.

(Last batch not only was it hotter out but I ended up having to leave town for the weekend after a brew Friday night so I cooled it down as best I could then took off.)

I've done so many variations of dry hopping and excessive cleaning but at the end of the day I think cool temps during those critical first few days is the best thing I could do for my beer at this point.

I certainly can't believe that the marbles caused off flavors then when you pony up the fact that temps have been high during fermentation, I can assure you that marbles aren't to blame.

The one thing the so-called textbook that was given to me when I started brewing failed to mention was temp control during fermentation. My first beer was drinkable but a very citrus tasting hefe was not what I was going for. I was fermenting at about 78º. Now I use a swamp cooler and as soon as I can, I'll move to the 60 qt coleman ice coolers so I can move them easier.

I'm not sure how many batches you brewed before you figured out fermentation temp control was crucial, but glad to see you finally worked it out.

I remember worrying some really silly stuff. I still do, but none come as close to impact of cool fermentations. I think beer kits should have warnings in the instructions about temps.

I remember worrying some really silly stuff. I still do, but none come as close to impact of cool fermentations. I think beer kits should have warnings in the instructions about temps.

The kit makers have a goal, to sell kits, not to instruct you into making the best beer but to make drinkable beer. Would you have bought a kit if is said that it needed refrigeration for the first week? Most beginning homebrewers don't have a spare refrigerator that they can tie up for a week nor do they have the controller to keep the beer at the optimum temperature.

I made some beer where I fermented it at 72 degrees and it was quite drinkable but now that I know to control the temperature, my beers are much better.

The kit makers have a goal, to sell kits, not to instruct you into making the best beer but to make drinkable beer. Would you have bought a kit if is said that it needed refrigeration for the first week? Most beginning homebrewers don't have a spare refrigerator that they can tie up for a week nor do they have the controller to keep the beer at the optimum temperature.

I made some beer where I fermented it at 72 degrees and it was quite drinkable but now that I know to control the temperature, my beers are much better.

I think it go either way. I personally gave up brewing for over 10 years because of lackluster kit results. Had I known it needed cooling I might have purchased 10 years worth of kits from them.

Back