Another pest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoZiT

Reaction score
OK, found another pest today. Hops were drying for a few days (cascade and centennial, placed next to each other). I put them into freezer bags and began to weigh them when I found 4-5 of these buggers crawling around in the bag.

Size: compared to pen:

top:

bottom:

OK, the quality isn't so good. Excuse me for this, all I had was my iPhone.

First things first, is this a weevil? I've seen these types of bugs a lot before, just never had them in anything, so I'm a little concerned. It can fly. I'm pretty sure these came during the drying process, not from the plant itself, but I can't be completely sure about that.

More importantly, suppose I get all of them out of the hops with reasonable confidence. Should I be worried about eggs or larvae and a spoiled batch because of them? My plan was dry hopping, although I suppose I might be better off saving them for late addition aroma hops during the boil.

Removed the bugs. Froze the hops with co2 in the bag, then squeezed.

Freezing will kill anything, but should I refrain from dry hopping? The boil will kill anything, but will it botch a batch?

Latest posts

Back