Another Perfect Game.....not quite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that headline too and thought what a shame both things happened at the same time. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but he was a legend in his own time.

Lost in all this, of course, is that one of the game's top 10 players ever and a true gentleman, Ken Griffey Jr., retired yesterday. God, when he was in his prime he was the perfect example of a five-tool player.

:off:

Got in a debate this morning with someone I work with. If griffey hadn't missed all those reason would he have the career HR record? I highly doubt it but multiple people thought I was nuts and that there is no doubt he would have.

I guess Chevy gave Armando a Corvette at the game today. They drove it out when he was walking out of the dugout. Also, when Joyce walked out with the other umpires he was teary eyed and received mostly all applause from the fans.

If it makes anyone feel any better, Armando Galarraga was presented with a Corvette on behalf of Chevy and the Tigers before the game today.....

Edit: You beat me to it

If it makes anyone feel any better, Armando Galarraga was presented with a Corvette on behalf of Chevy and the Tigers before the game today.....

That is just retarded. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Hey I got screwed over at work today and probably make 1% of what that dude makes, where's my Corvette?

I agree. You can't over turn it. If you do, then you are essentially saying that instant replay can be used if there is enough of a public outcry. The rules are the rules and you can selectively apply them.

But isn't that what the umpire just did? Selectively apply the rules? The rules say the runner was out.
A lot of umpires, especially at first, make these close calls based on sound. On this play, the ball was caught towards the top of the web of the glove. It is very possible that he could not hear it and had to rely on what he saw. It is much easier to hear to things happen very close together than see it.

Most umpires watch the ball, and wait for the sound of the (runner's) foot hitting the bag.

Bad calls are a part of baseball. Just like bad calls are a part of football, hockey, soccer, and just about everything else.

Yeah, except every other sport (barring soccer) goes out of their way to prevent them.
I'm anti instant replay only in that I'm tired of sports (football) that use it to drag out the game. I tell you what...Flyers fans love that there's replay in hockey...that's how to do it with CLASS.

Put a 5th umpire in the booth. He'd have overturned that call before Leland even got out to first. It would have sped up the game, not slowed it down.

Baseball is probably the only game where instant replay at worst would have no effect on timing, and could probably speed up the game. Most calls could be reviewed before the pitcher was ready to throw his next pitch.

All games are played by humans. They should be officiated by humans. Instant replay is just purely stupid in all forms, IMO. We took pure sport and modified it with technology and, I think, ruined it to a certain extent.

All games are played by humans. They should be officiated by humans. Instant replay is just purely stupid in all forms, IMO. We took pure sport and modified it with technology and, I think, ruined it to a certain extent.

I want the game decided by what the athletes on the field do, not by whether or not an umpire can see something.

There's a reason the players make millions and the umpires don't: we don't want to see umpires, we want them to call games correctly and stay out of the limelight.

Look, one of the reasons I don't watch baseball much is because it is full of slow moments. The time between pitches is killer for me. The things that the batter and pitcher do to drag it out... Ugh. But many people enjoy that aspect. Fine for them, but they are also the baseball purists who don't want instant replays because it might make the games longer. I'm all for not making the games longer. In fact, I wish they had a pitch clock! Yes, a clock that counts down, and the pitcher must throw to the plate or a bag within 20 seconds. Radical!

Not so radical is a system where a Manager has, say, 2 red cards that he can play to challenge a called out at a base, or a fielded ball. Not pitches, Strikes and Balls.

Assume, if you will, that a replay takes 5 minutes, and there are 4 of them. The game would only increase by 20 minutes. A long time, but what are the odds of both managers using both cards in one game, and certainly 5 minutes is a very liberal estimation.

And the time could be made up with the use of a pitch clock ;)

Lost in all this, of course, is that one of the game's top 10 players ever and a true gentleman, Ken Griffey Jr., retired yesterday. God, when he was in his prime he was the perfect example of a five-tool player.

He should have retired about 3 years ago, instead of continuing to eat up a roster spot and salary from the Mariners.

Selig needs to overturn that call. PERIOD. There is NO DOUBT to ANYONE that was a PERFECT GAME. The ump who called it safe said he was wrong and has apologized (and anyone else who saw the call knows it was a perfect game). To not call it a perfect game is ridiculousness.

As for replay. I like replay as long as it gets the call right. My Blackhawks got screwed last night because of instant replay. But it was the right call - so I am happy with it.

So a sport should be admired for it's flaws?
Yes.

I want the game decided by what the athletes on the field do, not by whether or not an umpire can see something.

There's a reason the players make millions and the umpires don't: we don't want to see umpires, we want them to call games correctly and stay out of the limelight.
But replay puts them in the spotlight. So an ump, official, referee, whatever, blows a call. Big deal. It is sport, nothing more (and that's coming from a guy who makes his living off sport).

Galarraga missed out on an achievement and that's awful. But if after he's dead and buried, the greatest thing that can be said about him is that he pitched a perfect game, well, that's a life not well lived.

He should have retired about 3 years ago, instead of continuing to eat up a roster spot and salary from the Mariners.
Sure, but that makes him not one of the greatest players of all-time how? And not for nothing, but teams kept putting him on the roster.

Care to elaborate on why you feel this way?

But replay puts them in the spotlight. So an ump, official, referee, whatever, blows a call. Big deal. It is sport, nothing more (and that's coming from a guy who makes his living off sport).

Galarraga missed out on an achievement and that's awful. But if after he's dead and buried, the greatest thing that can be said about him is that he pitched a perfect game, well, that's a life not well lived.

This isn't about Galarraga's personal life. This is about the game of baseball. We cannot, and should not speculate on what would merit recognition for living a life well lived. Each of us has a different opinion on what that would be.

Galarraga chose pitching to be his career. Pitching a perfect game would be the ultimate achievement for a pitcher. To accomplish this nearly impossible feat, and not be recognized for it, is an abomination. What we should be looking for is the truth. The truth is the runner was out. It's not a judgment call, and shouldn't be. Selig could use his authority to correct an obvious error. It's not an abuse of power and nobody could say he wasn't justified in overturning a call which even the official who made the call, recognized was incorrect.

No, it's not the World Series. I think it's much more important. Not only does someone win the World Series every year, someone HAS to win the world series every year. It's guaranteed!

So forgive me if I don't share you opinion that baseball ought to ignore reality and embrace faulty calls. It should be doing what it can to recognize the truth.

Care to elaborate on why you feel this way?
Sure. The games are played by people who make mistakes. They are officiated by people who make mistakes. You live with it. Now it seems there needs to be an absolute right and wrong. You always hear that sports are a metaphor for life and teach great lessons (I think that's wrong, BTW; competition relates more closely to what life offers but I digress), like how to handle being wronged either maliciously or not.

I don't want a sport that is perfect. Nothing is perfect.

This isn't about Galarraga's personal life. This is about the game of baseball. We cannot, and should not speculate on what would merit recognition for living a life well lived. Each of us has a different opinion on what that would be.
No doubt. I was merely accentuating the fact that Galarraga has moved on better than people who weren't remotely involved in this.

Galarraga chose pitching to be his career. Pitching a perfect game would be the ultimate achievement for a pitcher. To accomplish this nearly impossible feat, and not be recognized for it, is an abomination. What we should be looking for is the truth. The truth is the runner was out. It's not a judgment call, and shouldn't be. Selig could use his authority to correct an obvious error. It's not an abuse of power and nobody could say he wasn't justified in overturning a call which even the official who made the call, recognized was incorrect.

No, it's not the World Series. I think it's much more important. Not only does someone win the World Series every year, someone HAS to win the world series every year. It's guaranteed!

So forgive me if I don't share you opinion that baseball ought to ignore reality and embrace faulty calls. It should be doing what it can to recognize the truth.
So what's next? Replacing the home plate umpire with a computer to call the strike zone to the exact letter of the law, from knees to letters? It would be an abuse of Selig's power to undermine a well respected umpire who made a mistake and acknowledged it. Move on. It's over.

Perfect games are great for those who throw them and those who are involved. But let's face it, of the 20 that have been thrown in MLB history, how many can most people point out off the top of their heads? Very few. The two this year (which goes to show how diluted the talent pool has become), Larsen's game in the 1956 World Series and, well, let's see. Hmmm.

To me, the truth is all games have human elements to them. It should remain that way.

Sure. The games are played by people who make mistakes. They are officiated by people who make mistakes. You live with it. Now it seems there needs to be an absolute right and wrong. You always hear that sports are a metaphor for life and teach great lessons (I think that's wrong, BTW; competition relates more closely to what life offers but I digress), like how to handle being wronged either maliciously or not.

I don't want a sport that is perfect. Nothing is perfect.

No doubt. I was merely accentuating the fact that Galarraga has moved on better than people who weren't remotely involved in this.

So what's next? Replacing the home plate umpire with a computer to call the strike zone to the exact letter of the law, from knees to letters? It would be an abuse of Selig's power to undermine a well respected umpire who made a mistake and acknowledged it. Move on. It's over.

Perfect games are great for those who throw them and those who are involved. But let's face it, of the 20 that have been thrown in MLB history, how many can most people point out off the top of their heads? Very few. The two this year (which goes to show how diluted the talent pool has become), Larsen's game in the 1956 World Series and, well, let's see. Hmmm.

To me, the truth is all games have human elements to them. It should remain that way.

Well put. But I disagree that bad calls are something to be admired. Few endeavors in life are improved with error and indifference. With very little effort, the obvious mistakes could quickly be recognized and corrected, and still leave plenty of the so-called human aspect in the game.

People continually ask where the boundaries of replay will be, and I don't think it would take much effort to decide that. Obviously balls and strikes would not. You can't even argue that with the ump.

Catches, trapped balls, fair, foul, tags, plays at the bags and plate could all be up for consideration. But I'd leave it for the baseball experts to discuss the fine points.

And no, I don't know any other player who has thrown a perfect game. Thanks to the current rules, I couldn't even look Galarraga's name up in the stats book if I wanted to find out. But I think I should be able to.

Do you think Jim Joyce wanted Selig to overturn the call? I am sure that is a question he would never answer publicly but interesting nonetheless.

Do you think Jim Joyce wanted Selig to overturn the call? I am sure that is a question he would never answer publicly but interesting nonetheless.

I think, considering his comments and his appearance, he would LOVE for Selig to rule in favor of the truth, if for nothing more than to lessen the threats against him and his family members.

With Replay, he could have simply said, "I missed that one. He's out. Play Ball" (or congratulations, in this case.)

With all due respect for the Umps and other officials in the major sports, they do a fantastic job. But sometimes they do make glaring mistakes. Hat's off to Joyce for facing Galarraga like a man and apologizing for his mistake. Joyce understands the rarity of the perfect game, maybe more than Galarraga does.

I think, considering his comments and his appearance, he would LOVE for Selig to rule in favor of the truth, if for nothing more than to lessen the threats against him and his family members.

I wonder if his sentiment would be the same if it was not him, but another ump in that position.

Back