Another Oak Aging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenbeer

Reaction score
I have read many questions and posts about aging over oak in the secondary and there is one thing I never see mentioned. How much flavor would bourbon extract from oak chips?

I have aged 3 ounces of heavy toast oak chips with 8 ounces of bourbon for 2 weeks. It is my understanding that the bourbon will extract flavors from the oak. If I were to use just the chips (after straining the bourbon out) how much weaker would the oak flavor be in the chips?

If I missed a post that answers this I am sorry for adding to the heap of oak posts!

Thanks

The thing to remember is that the bourbon is soaking the resins out of the wood while the wood absorbes the bourbon. so don't dtrain the liquor off,dump it through the hop sock into secondary as well. Tie off the sock of chips & drop it in. Otherwise the oak flavor will be weaker,imo/e.

That is actually what I wanted to hear. I used just the oak chips in 3.5 gallons of my stout hoping that if the oak was too weak I could just add in the bourbon later.

Back