Another Noob Post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustwing

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've wanted to pick up homebrewing as a hobby for years, and when I moved last I managed to be lucky enough to live 2 miles from a homebrew store! Hooray! Anyhow, hope you folks are having fun! I'm off to explore the forums and wait for my pectic enzyme to finish getting my must ready for yeast :)

Good luck. You are already doing better than me, I put my pectic enzyme and yeast in at the same time. Seems to be working out OK though.

^^; I'm just following a recipe, I had the feeling I could put the pectic in with the yeast, but, better safe than sorry? Hehe

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

You didn't say what you were making, but usually adding pectic enzyme and yeast together isn't a problem. Often, the reason that you add it separately has more to do with sulfites (campden tablets). You add campden tablets to many musts to help sanitize them- well, pectic enzyme doesn't work well with a high s02 level (and neither does wine yeasts, but they can do it), so you wait until 12 hours later to add the pectic enzyme and then another 12 hours or so to pitch the yeast. If you didn't, though, no harm will come to it. It's just that pectic enzyme works best without a high sulfite concentration.

Funny story, that.

Having moved to Florida in the summer, I was given the address of a farm where I could go and procure Muscodine grapes right off the vine. Sounded awesome, but the directions were one...huge...wild...goose chase. By the time I got back to my city I just wanted to start the must, so I went to the grocery store and got 8lbs of black grapes, two cans of pomegranite puree concentrate, and two cans of guava concentrate. Sanitize, wash, pulp, aaand now it's in the brew bucket. I havent added the yeast yet- just nutrient and the pectic enzyme according to the Muscodine recipe. So..I'm not positive what I'm making exactly, but it should at least resemble some form of wine. I'm considering picking up some camden tabs tomorrow- is it too late for those? It's just a 3 gallon batch, so no huge worry over spilt milk.

Funny story, that.

Having moved to Florida in the summer, I was given the address of a farm where I could go and procure Muscodine grapes right off the vine. Sounded awesome, but the directions were one...huge...wild...goose chase. By the time I got back to my city I just wanted to start the must, so I went to the grocery store and got 8lbs of black grapes, two cans of pomegranite puree concentrate, and two cans of guava concentrate. Sanitize, wash, pulp, aaand now it's in the brew bucket. I havent added the yeast yet- just nutrient and the pectic enzyme according to the Muscodine recipe. So..I'm not positive what I'm making exactly, but it should at least resemble some form of wine. I'm considering picking up some camden tabs tomorrow- is it too late for those? It's just a 3 gallon batch, so no huge worry over spilt milk.

Well, I'd get the campden tablets in there right away- grapes definitely have some wild yeasts/bacteria on them and you want to sanitize that must. You want to pitch your wine yeast in a must that's been "cleaned" of the wild stuff, otherwise, you'll have a wild yeast fermentation and it will probably taste terrible!

Back