another noob moment, airlock seal....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
So i was putting the airlock onto the primary after a long hard afternoon of wort making when i apparently pushed to hard and the little black seal dropped right into my beer.

i dont think this is an issue is it? I had another lid so i wiped that off with an iodine solution and re-outiftted the airlock. I would worry about some rubber off-taste but I looked with the spoon and simply couldn't find it.

done this before?

I believe my first post on HBT was exactly like yours- only I was convinced that I was the only person to have done it before. I bought another $.35 grommet and it never happened again. I also learned to put the airlock on the lid, then put the lid on the bucket. Then fill it with water or vodka so it doesn't suck into the bucket when I press down on the lid.

Welcome to the grommet in the bucket club! :mug:

haha, that didn't take long...

so you left it in the brew? the stout is so dark anyway, even if it was floating, which i'm fairly sure it's not, I wouldn't be able to find it.

I guess i'll look for it when I rack to the secondary.

hardrain said:
haha, that didn't take long...

so you left it in the brew? the stout is so dark anyway, even if it was floating, which i'm fairly sure it's not, I wouldn't be able to find it.

I guess i'll look for it when I rack to the secondary.

Oh, I left it in there alright! It'll be deeply buried in the yeast cake/trub when you find it. No problem at all.

I did the same thing in my first brew. Fished it out with my hand, not knowing where else I'd be able to get one of those things. Maybe not a wise decision, but while my first batch didn't turn out all that great, I don't think that had anything to do with it.

InkPouchMan said:
I did the same thing in my first brew. Fished it out with my hand, not knowing where else I'd be able to get one of those things. Maybe not a wise decision, but while my first batch didn't turn out all that great, I don't think that had anything to do with it.

+1 All the way...except it was my second brew.

Much easier to put the airlock in the lid, and then put the lid on the bucket.

OK, guess I am a new member of this club. Just did my first batch and the same thing happened. I've learned my lesson. I didn't have another rubber stopper or lid so i put the airlock in as best I could. Hope it works out. I wasn't going to use a second fermenter but I may now since I can hopefully find it. Would like to start another batch soon anyway.

Back