Another NOOB Brewer Thread! Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Alright Fellow Brewer's i know there are tons of threads about people starting to brew and they want your advice on what kit to use and what not.. This is similar to these threads but it is also a little different

So here is my situation and here are some questions.
I wanted to start home brewing back in Febuary of 2011 so i bought John Palmer's "How to Brew" and "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian And i preceded to read cover to cover Palmers book and then skimmed Papazian's book. Well when i finished reading those in june i was ready to buy my equipment but life got in the way and i put it off. Well I've procrastinated here long enough and am ready to for sure buy equipment and start by the end of january.
So i went to my grandparents house and asked my Grandpa who used to make wine if he had any supplies that i could borrow. Well he hasn't made wine since like 1991 and he said i could have whatever i wanted.. Well after looking at all his stuff there really wasn't a lot he had.. He made wine with the minimum he could..

So i was only able to score two 5 gallon glass carboys and a Old bottle capper
I already have a turkey Fryer burner i will use to boil and i also have a chest freezer with a rancho temp control that i use as a cellar to store about 150 beers at 50 Degrees. and would be able to use for lagers. I also have known i want to do this for a long time so i have been keeping beer bottles for over a year and prob have close to 300 bottles.

I have also looked at immersion chillers and feel that is one thing id really love to have and Lowe's in my area has 50 feet of copper for 46$ and i feel like the other parts necessary wouldn't be more than 5$ or so and so it would be cheaper for me to make one of those instead of buy one offline and have it shipped here.

So i have a few questions. I still need some more supplies. I love beer and I'm 95% sure this is a hobby id love to do for the rest of my life. So I'm pretty confident I'm in this for the long haul so id def. like nice equipment but also don't need the top of the line stuff and i am always ok with DIY projects.

Ive Looked at kits from Midwest and Nothern Brewer and feel like Northern Brewer's kit is better. I have also looked at "Great Fermentations" Beginning Brewer Kits - Homebrewing
Which is my a store just about 45 min from my house that has some decent kits and supplies.

My first question is should i buy a kit or should i buy the supplies separate. As i already have 2 glass carboys do i need any more? and i do have a bottle capper(now I'm not sure how good it is but i do have one) I also have both books that come with some kits(now i know thats not much of the cost). I also have over 300 plus bottles which also come in some kits as well. So just curious if i should buy a kit and if so which place is the best bang for my buck for a brewer that will 95% for sure stay with this for a long time.

My 2nd question is actually a bunch of questions rolled into one. What is the most important items or products you can buy to make good or even awesome beer. I plan on starting easy and doing extract for at least a year if not longer but would prob. like to go to all grain if and when i find i love this hobby and if and when i find i'm pretty good at making beer. So for an extract brewer that plans to stick with it a long time is a
1. Ferment chamber a big deal or will i be fine just keeping it in my back closet and checking on the temps?
2.Is kegging something i should go for right off the bat
3. i don't have a kegorator or another chest freezer to make a 3 tap kegging system but it that something i should use my money towards and do right away?

I will let you know i will be doing this in my kitchen so my supplies will have to be put in my spare room every time.. I don't have a sweet man cave or anything where i can just leave my supplies out 24/7(I'm not sure if this matters but thoughts id give as much info as possible)

So i plan on doing a pale ale as my first batch.. Something easy something simple to get my feet wet then ill move on from there.

Id love any advice on the questions i asked or any advice that you have for a new home brewer. Even any advice on questions maybe i didn't ask but should of asked.

BTW i have 250$ including shipping to spend to get my self started brewing..(that does not include ingredients as i don't need to pay for it as my friend who will be helping me brew is paying for all that)

Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice you can give a NOOB brewer!

well i am also a new brewer still researching everything, and $250 including shipping to get started is plenty especially when you already have two carboys and a capper. i really don't know much about this yet and im still learning, so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but you will need a fermenting bucket, an airlock (if the carboys already didnt have one), siphon supplies if you don't use the bucket(siphoning makes it a lot easier and if you have that much to start out it definitely wouldn't break you to get them), a hydrometer, thermometer and most important, star san sanitizer. you can get all of that easily under $100. probably a lot less than that actually. you can buy recipe kits for $15-30 that usually come with the extract, yeast and sugar.

Or if you do buy a kit, i'd get a coopers kit.
it comes with everything, including a lager beer kit. and i've heard great reviews on it. its only $99 and $8 or so dollars shipping and comes with literally EVERYTHING.
About the DIY Beer Kit
i know you said you wanted a pale ale, and it comes with a lager but you can buy all the other beer here:
http://www.makebeer.net/category.asp?idCategory=104
or packages here:
http://www.makebeer.net/category.asp?idCategory=112

sorry i'm not as skilled as some of these other people, but i'm learning and am hoping i helped at least a little! lol.

you'll want some 6.5 fermentors, the 5 gallon will be good for secondaries if you dry hop or spice much.

ferment chamber is a definite plus, i'd hang on to that.

i live in an apartment so i bottle. never had a problem with it but some folks hate it. bottle your first batch and see how much you like it.

you'll want some 6.5 fermentors, the 5 gallon will be good for secondaries if you dry hop or spice much.

ferment chamber is a definite plus, i'd hang on to that.

i live in an apartment so i bottle. never had a problem with it but some folks hate it. bottle your first batch and see how much you like it.

like said above, you can get one already assembled with a spigot for like $15 on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E62H8I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
i love to use bottling buckets as fermentors! i hate using siphons so just being able to attach a hose and crank the valve is a dream.

You have quite a decent start already and should be able to get away with buying a couple of items.

Current inventory:
Two 5 gallon carboys (to small to primary ferment in, could be used for smaller batches or secondary if you decide to)
bottle capper
300 bottles
2 brewing books
Turkey fryer and I assume 7.5 gallon pot

A wort chiller is a must have in my opinion. If you're a DIY type then definitely build it. My 50' 1/2" copper wort chiller was around 100 so you'd save a lot of money

You'll need a fermenting bucket with lid, or larger carboy to ferment in. The 5 gallon carboy will more than likey be to small.

You need an airlock and stopper
Hydrometer
Thermometer (the one that comes with the turkey fryer works. You can pick up a cheap digital at Harbor Freight for 5 dollars. Mine lasted about a year an a half, not bad)
bottle caps.

Autosiphons are not expensive and so handy, almost on the must have list

Bottling bucket and bottle wand.

Sanitizer. I use Star San some people use Iodaphor (sp). I prefer StarSan it's no rinse and doesn't stain like iodaphor

A good cleaner is Oxiclean.

That is really all you need.

To keg or not to keg is really up to you. Some prefer bottling or don't have the space/money for a kegging and some like me prefer kegging for it's simplicity.

Turkey fryers are great, the only problem with them is if you go bigger (ie a keggle) you'll have to reinforce the frame. Bayou classics sells burners that will support a 15g keg and cost about 50 dollars at Amazon.

Cheers!

From a guy that just started here might be a few helpful items/tips:

1. 5 gallon food grade bucket w/spigot for bottling.
2. Auto siphon and tubing
3. Bottling wand.
4. Hydrometer and thermometers - 1 for brew day and 1 to stick on your fermenter.
5. You'll want to do full 5 gallon boils if possible so 36qt or larger kettle. Most people can't boil that volume on stovetop so turkey fryer burner works great. I recommend outdoors or in a well ventilated area. Stanless is best quality, but aluminum works great too. Mine is aluminum and I'm not sure I would switch as aluminum conducts temp better than steel - less time heating and more importantly less time cooling. Research oxidation layer for aluminum and you should be good to go.
6. Most ales ferment well in the low 60's - research swamp cooler. If you have a basement usually that is a good ambient environment but base your temp on the fermenter not the room.
7. Twist off bottles don't work very well with crimp caps.
8. Good cleaning/santiizing habits
9. Make a log of all of your brews. It will help you improve your process and aid in replicating a brew that you really liked down the road.

Cheers and good luck.

I'm brewing today so I have the necessities in mind. Get a fermenter bucket or 2 or even 3 with lids and airlocks and a single bottling bucket. Add an autosiphon and some vinyl tubing for racking your beer. Buy 2 hydrometers because you will break one right when you need to take a reading and they aren't very expensive and a pair of thermometers, one a digital and one a long stem dial that you can leave in the turkey fryer to monitor temperatures continuously. You'll probably use the long stem one mostly when you go all grain.

I don't have an immersion chiller but where I live there usually is a snowbank when I brew and I can set my turkey fryer pot in a big tub of water and add snow until the wort is cool. I use the long stem thermometer to monitor the temperature.

If you really are going all grain soon (you should) I found that a digital scale is so handy to measure grains and hops if I have to split up a packet. Mine weighs from .2 ounces to 35 pounds which seems to be the right span.

You also need a ton of patience and a good deal of concentration as you brew and wait for the beer to complete the fermentation. I leave my beer in the fermenter for a minimum of 3 weeks with the first week at 62 to 65 degrees before completing it at 72. 300 bottles on hand! I's say that is a good start. You really only want to use the pry off bottles, not the twist off although some have reported good sealing with the bench capper. You have to be really careful when you uncap the twist off ones with the standard uncapper because it is real easy to chip the glass threads and you don't want sharp glass or the weakened top of the bottle.

The problem with some of the starter kits is that you won't use some of the things you are paying for, such as the racking cane, brewing book, dvd and so on. I would go to your LHBS and price out the following:
6.5 gal fermenter bucket
6.5 gal bottling bucket with spigot
Autosiphon
Hydrometer
Digital thermometer
Airlock
Wine thief
Sanitizer (I prefer StarSan as do many others. Buy the large size.)
Brass bottle washer that connects to faucet. Blasts out anything.

I would either start with a Brewers Best kit, which are available in stores, or order from Northern Brewer, or Austin Homebrew Supply online.

Definitely use the chest freezer with the controller to ferment. You're already ahead of the game there.

You mentioned a turkey fryer and brewing in the kitchen in the post. It's not safe to use a propane burner indoors. Also, how big is the pot that came with the fryer?

Welcome to the hobby. You'll have fun.:mug:

You'll need a fermenting bucket with lid, or larger carboy to ferment in. The 5 gallon carboy will more than likey be to small.
6.5 gallon is nice for the headroom. You can get away with the 5 gallon, but you will need to set up a blow off tube rather than an airlock most likely.

Forgot the bottle capper and tubing. You can buy the tubing in a hardware store cheaper than the LHBS. Brewers Best kits come with bottle caps, NB do not, so keep that in mind. A long stainless spoon, and a pair of tongs will also come in handy. I picked up a plastic wallpaper tray that's just the right size to soak equipment in sanitizer.:mug:

You mentioned a turkey fryer and brewing in the kitchen in the post. It's not safe to use a propane burner indoors. Also, how big is the pot that came with the fryer?

I thought I read kitchen brewing in there somewhere then only remembered the turkey fryer. :confused: Definitely dangerous burning propane inside!

Yea, I would get some 6.5gal+ buckets for fermenting in. The 5 gal glass carboys will be good for bulk aging and lagering, but otherwise you'll want more headspace for primary. If you're trying to do this on the cheap, you don't need to, though- you can just get some tubing with the same OD as the ID on the necks of the carboy for blowoff tubing. I personally prefer buckets as they are super easy to clean, don't let in oxygen, and have big wide openings for super easy access to hydrometers, hop bags, etc etc etc. That's personal preference.

You'll need a hydrometer and a good thermometer ($5 each) and a wort chiller is a big big help if you're going to be doing full boils with that turkey burner (which we do recommend).

You asked what the best thing for making good beer: #1 most important thing is FERMENTATION TEMPERATURE. The temperature in your beer can be as much as 10F above ambient, so you need to be actively cooling your beer. My climate is dry so I can get away with a fan pointed at a wet towel wrapped around my fermentor, but something fancier like a fermentation chamber would be nice if you feel like comitting the DIY time or spending a bit of cash. You can also do it on the cheap in high humidity with a muckbucket and frozen 2L bottles of water surrounding your beer. Regardless of what yeast say their "range" is on the package or instructions, ale yeasts should be low-mid 60s (F) for clean beer. Certain ales that take their major flavor from yeast, like hefeweizens or saisons can be fermented warmer, and certain strains like Nottingham english ale yeast prefer temps between 56-60F.

The next thing after that (fermentation temperatures are still #1. They'd be #0 if I had my way, though, it's that important) is pitching the correct number of healthy yeast into your beer. You'll have to some research on yeast starters, but they are super easy, and you don't need a stir plate contrary to popular belief, but you can get one if you like (it just means you can make less starter). Basically, you make a smallish beer and add your yeast to that. Grow them up to the correct amount (see mrmalty.com) for a day or two and then refrigerate them at least overnight to drop the yeast out of suspension. On brew day, pour off the clear liquid on top of your yeast, and warm the yeast up to pitching temperature (fermentation temperature) and add when ready.

I miss spoke when i said Turkey fryer... I meant i have a bunson burner hooked up to a propane tank.. And i will be brewing in my Well ventilated sun porch that is located about 10 feet from my kitchen.... So don't worry i won't be burning down my house..

So what I'm getting from readying all ur posts is i need Bigger carboys..

So does that mean i should just give those carboys back to my grandpa and just puy a kit and make sure i get 6 gallon carboys?

Also i plan on doing 5 gallon batches..

thanks for the advice so far. and keep the advice coming!

After thinking about this a little more and reading the great advice I think I'd follow PIGMAN's guidance (post #9) and add to it a big plastic spoon.

When I think of bunson burner I think of a tiny little flame used to heat a small Erlenmeyer flask (I'm probably wrong) A turkey fryer kit with aluminum 7.5 gallon stockpot will run around 70 dollars. If what you have IS a similar burner then you could just get the stockpot at Bayou classics.

Welcome to a great hobby, it's a blast! :mug:

I miss spoke when i said Turkey fryer... I meant i have a bunson burner hooked up to a propane tank.. And i will be brewing in my Well ventilated sun porch that is located about 10 feet from my kitchen.... So don't worry i won't be burning down my house..

So what I'm getting from readying all ur posts is i need Bigger carboys..

So does that mean i should just give those carboys back to my grandpa and just puy a kit and make sure i get 6 gallon carboys?

Also i plan on doing 5 gallon batches..

thanks for the advice so far. and keep the advice coming!

The burner should be at least 54,000 btu to make things easier and quicker, especially for full boils. Typically, a stove top (definately not electric) can't do it.

Keep the five gallon. Carboys They will become useful when trying certain types of beers (adding fruits, lagering, ect). Also, even though you don't need a secondary with many ales, you make want them to free up your primaries.

Latest posts

Back