Another Low OG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know these types of questions float around here all the time but I couldn't really find what I was looking for by searching. I hope you have some ideas for me.

I brewed an IPA from AHS on Sunday and the OG was supposed to be 1.066 but in reality it was 1.053. I was way off and I just can't figure out exactly why. The recipe is as follows:

6.5 lbs Extra Pale LME
2 lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal
1 oz warrior (60 min)
1 oz amarillo (15 mins)
1 oz amarillo (5 mins)
White Labs California Ale Yeast

I mashed the 2 row and crystal for 45 minutes at fairly steady temperatures of 152 - 158 degrees F. I sparged with 1.5 liters of water at 170 degrees F. I added half the extract at the beginning of the boil and then added the rest at the last 20 mins in order to lighten the beer some. Could doing this late-addition of the extract affect my gravity? The only other thing that I think I could have done wrong is that when I removed the grain from the water before sparging I didn't dunk it in again and then pull it out to really get all the good stuff out of the grain. But I don't think this would have affected my gravity so significantly.

I'm worried because there are some serious hops in here and without enough of a malty character to it, it'll be no good. Any ideas you guys have on what I could have done wrong would help a lot. HBT Rocks!

The late extract addition would not affect your specific gravity.

Assuming your final volume was correct (5 gal. batch?), then the most likely culprit would be your efficiency in lautering your grains. I've only done a few partial mashes, but I believe sparging with only 1.5 liters of water is not enough. There are a lot of sugars that need to be rinsed out of the grains, so that is probably why you missed the target gravity.

There's a great article on countertop partial mashing over at BYO http://***********/feature/1536.html which can give you some good ideas on how to conduct the lauter.

-Steve

I do all my math based upon 5.5 starting volume, since you lose a little on each rack.

As far as extract stuff goes, efficiency depends on the source.

If you really want to solve the problem.
Stop using Folgers Crystals and start grinding your own beans.

I don't have a very big brew kettle since I am only able to brew on my range. If I were to sparge with more water It would overflow the pot. Can I pour some of the wort into another pot and store it until some wort boils away? You guys think thats what the problem was? I didn't use enough sparge water?

I don't have a very big brew kettle since I am only able to brew on my range. If I were to sparge with more water It would overflow the pot. Can I pour some of the wort into another pot and store it until some wort boils away? You guys think thats what the problem was? I didn't use enough sparge water?

Well, I think that PMs give great color and flavor, but I wouldnt' depend on them for actually adding gravity points. Many times you'll get under 50% efficiency with them. So, my advice is to not sweat it and just accept a lower gravity. I didn't do the math to figure your OG/IBU ratio, but it's probably still within the style guidelines so I wouldn't worry.

You can pour some of the wort into another pot, but DON'T use it to top up your brewpot. Grains have alot of "stuff" on them, and are noted especially to have bacteria that will case a lactic acid infection in your beer, if you don't boil the full time. (That's why you don't crush grain where you ferment) Anyway, you can start that second pot on to boil too, and boil it for the hour. Then it's ok to use it. But, I wouldn't bother. You'll still have a great PM beer, even if the SG is lower than you expected.

Latest posts

Back