Another Lag time question (Wy2278)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPME

Reaction score
I know, another... what should I do about the lag time with my yeast, sorry.

Quick details:
Made a 2L starter Friday night - 24 hours or so at room temp in kitchen. Then moved to fridge Sat night where beer was to get it down to same temp. 53 degrees

Hit wort with Pure O2 for 1 min, then pitched, temp was 53. This was Sunday morning. Checked temp Mon just to make sure and noticed it dropped to 47 deg. Warmed it back up and has been at 52-53 since. Just checked to see if anything happening and it doesn't seem it. I'm using a SS Brew Bucket so can't see inside. Just going off of blow off tube in a jar of water.

I have been chillin thinking it's just slow and should wait it out, but from pitching Sun morning onto now Wed morning with no activity yet, figured I get some feedback from more experienced brewers.

Thanks

I normally see activity in my lagers 24-36 hours after pitching a 3L starter. 3 days does seem a little slow... I would pop open your Brew Bucket and see if there's any krausen. Most of the time there's no airlock activity it's a leaky seal in my fermentor.

I normally see activity in my lagers 24-36 hours after pitching a 3L starter. 3 days does seem a little slow... I would pop open your Brew Bucket and see if there's any krausen. Most of the time there's no airlock activity it's a leaky seal in my fermentor.

@cswis86 - thnx for the one and only reply. I popped it open quickly and took a peak, looked like there was some krausen, but not much. Even today there is no bubbling action.

I don't brew lagers so I have no clue. My ales start to ferment in 18-24 hours or less, always. Frustrating.

Lagers are quieter as a general rule. Remember, lager yeast is a bottom fermenting creature. "Some" krausen is still krausen. You are most likely futzing too much with this beer. Leave it closed and keep the temp stable in the low 50s for a good two weeks. Then raise slowly to 60+ over 5-7 days for a diacetyl rest. It'll then be ready for cold conditioning, and bottling/lagering.

Thanks @McKnuckle. My Ale to Lager ratio is a bout 100:1. Planning on taking a gravity reading at the end of the week just to make sure the yeast is working. That will be about 2 weeks in Fermentor.

Well, if your sig is accurate and you're brewing a Czech Pils, that's what I'm about to embark on in a couple of days! Mmm, Saaz... :mug:

My experience with lager yeast has been that it starts small, with a layer of tiny bubbles and no visible airlock activity. However if you stick your face in the fermenter and take a whiff, you'll get a CO2 sandwich. It will gradually build so that after a week or so, things are rocking - but still not as dramatic as a warmer ale fermentation. After two weeks I would expect it to be finished with primary, for sure. Let's hope you have the same experience!

Cheers

Yup, Czech Pilz it is.....hopefully! Will find out at Thanksgiving. That's what I am brewing this for. Family requested it. God forbid they request something I make confidently all the time! lol

Good to be pushed outside my comfort zone tho. Can't learn unless I do it.

Back