another "how's it look" recipe thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinout

Reaction score
I'm putting together my first recipe and don't really know what I'm doing. Big surprise, right?

10lbs pale 2-row
2lbs Munich light 10
1lb honey malt
.5lb caramel crystal 60

.5oz magnum for 60
.5oz palisade for 15
.5oz palisade dry hop

I'm using safale 05 and it'll be a 5gal batch.
I'm not trying to make the perfect beer, just something drinkable while I learn about ingredients. Will I get much honey taste from the honey malt? From what I read about the hops, they should give a slight floral aroma....hopefully that compliments the honey taste/smell...if it exists.

Also, does chocolate malt give much of a chocolate taste, or is that more of a reference to color? A chocolate Dunkel may be in my future. Or vanilla. Or honey. Or....or....or

good questions and i like your experimental nature. some breweries, when trying to learn a new malt, will make a 90/10 2row/specialty malt blend. while it probably doesn't result in a lot of drinkable beer, it's a good way to learn if you can tolerate doing gallon batch pilots.

my experience with honey malt has been that it is hard to place in a final beer as honey. if you chew on the grains, you will taste honey, yet i have not had it come through in the product in this way.

this is a decent sized grain bill for 5gal, but your efficiency may be lower. i would probably target 1050 or lower based on the hop impact and the impression i get looking at these malts together. i am sure this will be an enjoyable beer.

as for chocolate malt:
chocolate malt comes in lots of varieties. try out different maltsters! the amount you use will make a big difference, as will the supporting players in your grist. on the lower end of the spectrum (4oz/5gal) you'll get some nutty flavors. toward the very high end, you will get not only chocolate and coffee, but even some soy sauce/umami, particularly if it is highly kilned.

For a first brew I would go with 8 lbs of 2-row and just 1/2 honey malt, with the rest staying the same. I was born in Smitheville and grew up in Orrick. Good luck!

Back