Another Hopburst Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefy620

Reaction score
Have a base IPA recipe locked in I like, but wanted to try my hand at this hopbursting thing. 10g @ about 1.060-1.065

Question is i wanted to go w/ out an 60 minute addition. The hops I wanna play w/ are:
Amarillo 7.3%
Pacifica 4.8%
Wai-Iti 2.5%

Lower AA than I wanted but I'll work with what i got. To get a respectable IBU total w/ this combo of hops (average AA 4.87) its going to take 3-4oz additions at 25,20,15,10,5.

Is that an insane/stupid hop schedule (other than cost). I'm leaning towards the 'screw it and just do it' camp, but looking for opinions. Thanks

This looks like a great experiment. I've had good results with hopburst. I would do the wai iti at, or near flameout, and be careful not to overpower the others with the Amarillo. That has happened with mine before. I say do it and let us know how it comes out!

my last IPA used 10 oz total hops (1 oz magnum to bitter, then 6 oz finish, then 3 oz dry hop). So yeah, 3x4oz with low alpha hops doesn't sound unreasonable to get the effect you're after.

Read and listen to all lot of people.

Anything before 10mins seems to be a lost cause when it comes to aroma. I'd do half of that at 5mins and the other half at end of the boil.

Even that might be a lost cause as the liquid is still very hot and most of the oils be lost.

Let us know what you did.

Definitely, will let ya know plan to brew on sunday. The AA of the combined hops is so low I definitely going to have to go further out than 10 to get a reasonable IBU count, and we're talking large handfuls of additions. I already have the hops and planned on using them all to begin with, someone just questioned my thought process and it made me question my idea. I'll just blow it up w/ hops and see what we get.

Definitely, will let ya know plan to brew on sunday. The AA of the combined hops is so low I definitely going to have to go further out than 10 to get a reasonable IBU count, and we're talking large handfuls of additions. I already have the hops and planned on using them all to begin with, someone just questioned my thought process and it made me question my idea. I'll just blow it up w/ hops and see what we get.

Yeah and it will still taste less bitter than calculated. So just be prepared for it to be under bittered. The flavor explosion may override that sensation.

Yeah and it will still taste less bitter than calculated. So just be prepared for it to be under bittered. The flavor explosion may override that sensation.

Yeah thats one of the things I've been reading with this technique. The planned brew is around 1.060-1.065 so ive messed around w/ hop additions to get it to about 72ish IBUs calculated so maybe it'll taste closer to the 1:1 ibu/og ratio that's preferable. Who knows?!

If i get the flavor explosion i'm expecting all is good with that :)

Yeah thats one of the things I've been reading with this technique. The planned brew is around 1.060-1.065 so ive messed around w/ hop additions to get it to about 72ish IBUs calculated so maybe it'll taste closer to the 1:1 ibu/og ratio that's preferable. Who knows?!

If i get the flavor explosion i'm expecting all is good with that :)

I've noticed that the decreased perceived bitterness is irrelevant because of the increased flavor and aroma, as long as your malt profile isn't too cloying, i.e. Too much crystal malt.

I've noticed that the decreased perceived bitterness is irrelevant because of the increased flavor and aroma, as long as your malt profile isn't too cloying, i.e. Too much crystal malt.

True, in the beginning I'd use 1-2lbs of various crystal malts per 5g in an IPA I've gradually over time come to use 8oz of honey malt per 5g and nothing else. And usually 8oz - 16oz of sugar per 5g to help dry it out. These have turned out fairly dry and tasty.

I'm just glad I started this thread, I am now more reassured that I need to go ahead and add the insane amount of hops I'm going to add. Its gonna be good!

Brewed this Sunday 20lbs Maris Otter 4lbs FM bohemian Wheat 1lb Honey malt 1lb sugar 10g batch

Mixed 12oz each of Amarillo 7.3, pacifica 4.8, wai-iti 2.5. did 4oz each at 25, 20,15,10,5,0 and a hop stand. I'm left w/ 8oz for dry hopping in a few days. Only started at 25 cuz i needed IBUs since these hops are so low.

Was not overwhelmed by the aroma during the boil as i have been in previous batch (probably due to the low Alphas), but i guess I'll see in a few days

Latest posts

Back