Another "First BIAB" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nodak_Brewer

Reaction score
I completed my first BIAB batch yesterday, a little under 2.0 gallons in the fermenter just as planned.

I went for a simplified approach. My previous 25-30 gallons were done with a cooler mash tun w/cpvc manifold and batch sparge, and I never really hit my numbers properly and had poor efficiency. I stepped away from brewing for three years, and recently started again as well as adding mead and cider to my repertoire. I decided to do a single volume, no sparge, and no mashout method all in one kettle on my electric stove. I used a cheap victoria mill set to fine crush as well, since I sold my cereal killer a while back. My efficiency was higher than it has ever been, cleanup was easier, and I had a blast. I never thought I would hit my numbers so perfectly with such a stripped down technique, and can see myself sticking to it. Thanks for all the helpful tips and tricks everybody, especially the tip about using an oven rack as a drainage platform!

I do 2 gallon batches all the time. Depending on grain weight I use about 2.5 to 3 gallons of water mashing in a bag in a 5 gallon round cooler. I then boil in a 5 gal SS pot and ferment in HD 2 gal paint buckets. I can mill 5 lbs of grain in my blender in like 6 min doing 1 coffee cup at a time.

Enjoy your bier.

Back