Another fermentation temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
So just when I thought I had it figured out, I get another complexity added. After creating several batches where I had a tough time keeping my fermentation temps down I bought a Igloo cooler and with an ice bottle or two thrown in I can keep my temps pretty much where I want them. This gave me high hopes that my current batch won't have some of the off tastes I had attributed to too high fermentation temps.

Today I go to my LHBS to get some supplies and I talked to one of the employees there about my cooler and that I actually started out a little too cool. I thought this would only impede the start of fermentation but he said it will also produce some of the same (or maybe opposite) off tastes as too high. FRACK!!! I really didn't have it too cold for too long - low was about 57° for maybe 30 minutes. I then warmed it up to 64° and held 62° - 67° for the next week.

So is it true? Can low temps create off tastes as well?

Never heard of too low having OFF flavors. I say 67 is about perfect for most brews.

A wet towel and a fan will cool a carboy off 5 degrees (maybe not SD though).

So without the igloo what temps do you want??

You won't get off tastes until you get into the mid to upper 70's normally.

During the summer, the "swamp cooler" struggled to keep the temp below 72°. The Igloo cooler is perfect, I just need to judge the amount of ice bottles and change frequency. I was able to hold it within a 5° range for a week with little effort - oh, and it was about 100° outside that week (80° +/- inside)

Yea - once I saw you were in CA the wet towel that works with evaporation would not work.

try to keep it below 70 and your fine. The most important time is during the active fermentation. Once it settles down you can raise the temp (many do on purpose).

Your early low temp *may* have stalled fermentation. When you brought it up your fermentation happened just fine. If you have off flavors from this one I'd be shocked.

Like Grinder said...temps are SO important during active fermentation. And you didn't have that at 57.

Never heard of off flavors at low temps either.

It would definitely slow the fermentation process though.

I have dozens of 12 oz water bottles in my fridge that I use when using the swamp cooler.

I also have a couple 1/2 and 1 gal jugs that I'll use for the Son of Ferment Chiller when I get it up and running.

yeah i'd say this guy at your LHBS is full of sh...

yeah.

It sounds like you did everything right -- I bet it is your best batch yet.

Don't always believe those guys at the LHBS -- sometimes they think because they sell the stuff they know what they are talking about (this guy didn't).

I doubt it should be a problem. I would be very careful not to have it get cold during fermentation, however. This makes the yeast nice and sleepy and very often gives you a stuck fermentation. It sounds like you corrected the temps before fermentation really started, so I'd guess you're fine.

It depends on the yeast strain, too. I mean, nottingham does great at 59 degrees and gives the "cleanest" flavor at a low temp like that. Irish ale yeast might go to sleep at that cool of a temp, but perk up at 63.

So, go to the yeast manufacturer's website. They have the best information on optimal temperature ranges, as well as which ale strains might need a diacetyl rest (raising the temperature at the end of fermentation).

I always go on the cool side of the manufacturer's recommended temperature.

Just for reference, the yeast was US-05 and 59° is the low end of the range for that product.

I like the guys at my LHBS but I have been given some questionable info there before. Funny thing is, when I try to verify it here I usually get about 80% of the responses saying "they're wrong!" and 20% saying they're right. Just like real life I guess, there are no black & white answers.

Thanks to everyone for their input. When my Sinistral Warrior has been bottled & aged properly I'll dig this thread up & let you know what the taste test says
:mug:

Back