Another Brew Kettle Thread..... which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWood

Reaction score
Hey Folks-

I'm a lurker but have been brewing about 20 years, mainly all grain since 2002 or so. I've been using converted keggles and Polarware Economy pots for years as I outfitted my simple brewery. I'm trying to upgrade, but not getting too crazy. I recently got my first pump (my back surgeon will be upset:) and a second burner (hellfire) to have a dedicated HLT, which now has a HERMS coil to maintain temps while recirculating my mash. I'm feeling pretty good.

However, I need a new kettle. I plan to continue using the keggle as a HLT, but I've outgrown my 10 gallon Polarware. Looking at the 15 gallon market I have information overload. I want a beefy kettle that will last, preferably volume marks (not a deal breaker), and a couple couplers. I like welded fittings, but have weldless on one kettle and it's not terrible. Currently looking at:

Spike
Morebeer Heavy Duty
Anvil
SS

I almost pulled the trigger on the Morebeer with the current sale (just a little over 150). It's super wide though. I'm not sure if that really matters my polarware is 1:1 ratio and never really thought about it. I also found a good deal on Anvil kettles, but I can find very little info on them. Spike looks awesome, but a little more expensive once outfitted SS is about same price and has weldless. Someone convince me of a darn brand so I can get to brewing and quit searching! Anything negative about Morebeer Heavy duty kettles? Blown away by any of the others? Am I thinking too much? Thanks!!!

I had similar requirements. I ended up with BrewBuilt, which I felt was the best bang for the buck on the market at the time. I've been using it for almost 2 years and still love it. Great kettle. I love the notched lid, which allows me to run my immersion chiller with the lid on during summer brewing. I wrap a starsan soaked rag round where the chiller tubes come through the notch and it's a very bug resistant setup. Great for extended whirlpooling my NEIPAs.

I bought the 10 gallon, but this is their 15 gallon at $250. They have a sitewide 10% discount using SAVEME10 as a code. That makes the kettle $225.

Thanks. I didn't have BB on my radar. Once more company in a similar price range. I see they do have welded fittings. Good information.

all I know is I want one with a valve on it . I hate having to lift 7-8 gallons of water and dump it by hand onto the mash tun or having to lift a 12 gallon batch to my shelf so I can transfer to the fermenters .

I sell the BrewBuilt as well as the Brewer's Beast 16 gallon. Both are great heavy duty pots with silicone grips, triclad bottoms and volume markers. The Brewer's Beast has stamped gallon markings which will last longer than the laser etch on SSbrewtech and Brewbuilt (which by the way are the same exact pots).

FYI, the Brewer's Beast is only $159 and it has welded couplings though you'll have to add a valve since it's just bare bones...

BeastKettle16-2.jpg

I got a bayou classic 16gal kettle on sale for only $110. I wanna say price is back to $170. It's a little on the thinner side, but comes with a ball valve, and thermometer. All weldless fittings. Haven't had any problems so far, but I do want to upgrade just because I like swagging out lol. The markings are stamped in .3gal increments, comes with a heat shield, and you can buy a bazooka screen as well as a false bottom to use as a mash tun. Now depending on where you live, it does lose heat rather quickly due to being thin. So if you biab you'll have to watch your mash temp. I brew in a garage though, and I live in Texas so it's usually not a big deal. Personally I'd go SS brewmaster edition if you can afford it though. That company's look is too clean.

I sell the BrewBuilt as well as the Brewer's Beast 16 gallon. Both are great heavy duty pots with silicone grips, triclad bottoms and volume markers. The Brewer's Beast has stamped gallon markings which will last longer than the laser etch on SSbrewtech and Brewbuilt (which by the way are the same exact pots).

FYI, the Brewer's Beast is only $159 and it has welded couplings though you'll have to add a valve since it's just bare bones...

BeastKettle16-2.jpg

Good to know. I'll swing by your site next time. I'm confused on the SSbretech being the same as the Brewbuilt. When I bought my Brewbuilt, the SS Brewtech were weldless, which made them a non-starter for me.

Thanks for the info. Never heard of brewers beat so that's a new one. Will check it out. Almost pulled trigger on Spike but they were out of V3. Maybe not meant to be. So many choices......

BeastKettle16-2.jpg

I see you have Anvil too? How do they compare?

...Almost pulled trigger on Spike but they were out of V3. Maybe not meant to be. So many choices......

I vote for Spike as well. I have their 20G. It sounds like Spike's demand was greater than anticipated. If that is the case, one would think there was reason for such a high demand.

Good to know. I'll swing by your site next time. I'm confused on the SSbretech being the same as the Brewbuilt. When I bought my Brewbuilt, the SS Brewtech were weldless, which made them a non-starter for me.

I wasn't clear. The base pots are identical but the Brewbuilt has fittings welded into the spots where the SS weldless holes go. I'm not anti-weldless but the SS weldless components are poorly done so I refuse to sell their kettles.

The anvil is OK but they are also based on weldless fittings that are not of particularly high quality. It takes monster torque to operate the valves. Brew Built is a better value due to the welded fittings and I like the silicone grips on the handles.

The anvil is OK but they are also based on weldless fittings that are not of particularly high quality. It takes monster torque to operate the valves. Brew Built is a better value due to the welded fittings and I like the silicone grips on the handles.

Checked on those and spike is out of stock of the v3 kettles until late Feb.

I email/chatted with a Spike employee yesterday and she said the V3s in 10 and 15 gallons were out of stock and that a final batch was coming in in Feb. I will write you guys directly to discuss. Thanks for responding.

I have a Spike and an anvil. I much prefer the spike. The anvil is beefy but does not have welded fittings. Spike is high quality and I wish I could afford to replace my Anvil with a spike. also the customer service with spike is very good. Just my opinion.

Back