Another Bottled and Waiting Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoGirl

Reaction score
I am sitting at day 8 of the conditioning for my first brew and this is almost worse than being 9-1/2 months pregnant. Since we capped the bottles and put them back into the cases, I have tried to forget about them but I have some questions.

What are some of the things I should be looking for in the bottles while conditioning is going on? Everything looked relatively clear when I looked at a couple tonight. I didn't see any sediment on the bottoms nor could I see anything floating around.

At what point would I be seeing bottle bombs if they were to occur?

When bottling, I ended up having one bottle that only got filled half way. I didn't want to waste it so we capped it. Should I not have done this?

This is a True Brew Belgian Ale kit, I had it in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for 2 weeks before I bottled it. There was almost no sediment in the bottom of the secondary when I racked to the bottling bucket. I used the package of corn sugar that came in the kit for priming and mixed it in using what I think was a Revvy recommendation of part at the start and part half way through.

If you were to have a bottle bomb, it would have probably happened already. I've only had one do that ever in close to 20 batches, and it was my own fault for forgetting to prime a small batch I made before i bottled, so I primed by pinching corn sugar into each bottle, and apparently one had too much.

As long as you put the right amount in your bottling bucket, you will be fine.

Dont worry about it, and just wait a few more days, and your beer will be drinkable, then while your drinking the early ones, the others will quickly become delicious!

You won't see things floating around, you may or may not see sediment at the bottom, you won't see bottle bombs if you have them but that is highly unlikely. Your half-filled bottle is what I always end up with also. Drink that one first, and don't count on it being a representative sample. It is what it is. And by the way, I almost never make it to day 8 without "testing" one of the bottles.

Now, having dispensed with all that, there is a serious issue: what do you mean about "part at the start and part half way through"?? You should take ALL the priming sugar, dissolve it in a cup of water, boil it, then add it ALL to the bottling bucket. Let the gentle swirling action of the siphon hose mix it all in. Then bottle.

How did you do it?

bottle bombs can occur from over carbination or an infection. if you were clean and sanitary and followed your kits instructions regarding priming quanities that shouldn't be a concern. I've had one blow up at 5 weeks(not to say it couldn't happen sooner) but that was a single bottle infection. the half full beer should be your first "test beer" but they will improve with age.

now concentrate that energy worrying on your next batch :)

Just don't do what I did trying it every few days. Ended up drinking more of them than I should have before they really came around. Maybe try one at 2 weeks, but I think three weeks is a safer bet minimally.

Now, having dispensed with all that, there is a serious issue: what do you mean about "part at the start and part half way through"?? You should take ALL the priming sugar, dissolve it in a cup of water, boil it, then add it ALL to the bottling bucket. Let the gentle swirling action of the siphon hose mix it all in. Then bottle.

How did you do it?

Before I bottled, I was reading all I could and found Revvy's "Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer" sticky thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/). He said:
I set my bottling bucket below the fermenter and pour half of the priming solution into the bottom of the bucket then I start racking the beer on top of it. When I get to 2.5 gallons I I add the remainder of the solution to the bucket.
That is what I did.

It's hard sometimes to see the sediment. First batch I did 20 years ago I thought Crap nothing ! It was there but It was hard to see not like in the fermenter or secondary. Damn brown bottles camo those suckers. As for the half bottle it's ok. But probably won't carb as well as the others. (excuse to sample it first )

I was figuring the half bottle would be the first sample :) I just want to make sure there is nothing major wrong about doing a half bottle in case I end up with another one this weekend when I bottle my Oberon clone.

Before I bottled, I was reading all I could and found Revvy's "Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer" .... That is what I did.

Ahh, I misunderstood. What you did sounds fine (although I haven't tried it that way yet).

Latest posts

Back