another beginner from NJ (Already running into problems)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elsass67

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm a newbie in the world of homebrewing. Bought my first kit and brewed a nut brown ale. I have been overly cautious with sanitation to avoid ruining my first batch. However, now that I'm ready to open the first bottle (4 weeks after starting boiling), the brew has a yeasty aftertaste. Interestingly enough, the beer had no aftertaste when I took the final hydrometer reading before bottling. Actually it tasted great, it was just missing the bubbles! I'm starting to realize that I might have boiled the priming sugar too long to a point where it started to caramelize. The sauce pan I used has a black bottom and I realized the mistake once I poured it in the white bottling bucket. I didn't think it would have any effect on the final product but it seems that it did afterall. Can anybody confirm my suspicion? Or is my brew just too young and needs to settle more?
Thanks for any advice
:tank:

How long has it been in the bottles? 4 weeks from brewing is way young. Ideally you would have left it in primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better and then another 3 weeks bottle conditioning. You'd have less sediment in the bottle.

Now, what's done is done and the best thing you can do is start cold conditioning a few bottles as long as you're happy with the carbonation level already. Put a couple bottles in the fridge and leave them for a week. Try one by carefully pouring into a glass leaving a 1/4" of beer in the bottle.

+1 on Bobby M advice,Welcome to the addiction,Dont get discouraged it WILL get easier and MUCH better!!!:fro:

Where in NJ are you?

Thanks for advice Bobby. It's funny because I've watched your videos on YouTube for the past year, and I can tell you that I've learned a lot from them so thanks again. You're very entertaining!
Going back to my first batch, as of today the brew would be 33 days old from brewing day. It stayed 14 days in primary fermenter at a constant 62F and was bottled on day 15. As far as the cold conditioning, I'm gonna wait until a couple more days to stick a few bottles in the fridge. The level of carbonation is ok but head doesn't stay and no laces stick to glass at this point. Should I wait more time before cold conditioning? Also what does cold conditioning accomplish in my case?
Also you mentioned that it should stay in primary for 3 weeks, but from what I've read, once the FG stabilizes for several days, it's time to bottle, right? The FG was about 1/4 of OG so I felt pretty confident to move to next stage...Let me know if my thinking is right...
Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

BeerSlut - I'm in Sparta.

Thanks for advice Bobby. It's funny because I've watched your videos on YouTube for the past year, and I can tell you that I've learned a lot from them so thanks again. You're very entertaining!
Going back to my first batch, as of today the brew would be 33 days old from brewing day. It stayed 14 days in primary fermenter at a constant 62F and was bottled on day 15. As far as the cold conditioning, I'm gonna wait until a couple more days to stick a few bottles in the fridge. The level of carbonation is ok but head doesn't stay and no laces stick to glass at this point. Should I wait more time before cold conditioning? Also what does cold conditioning accomplish in my case?
Also you mentioned that it should stay in primary for 3 weeks, but from what I've read, once the FG stabilizes for several days, it's time to bottle, right? The FG was about 1/4 of OG so I felt pretty confident to move to next stage...Let me know if my thinking is right...
Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Cold conditioning and age will drop out more of the yeast in suspension and may help that yeast aftertaste a bit.Also should help blend all the flavors together again.If the bottles are carbed,I dont know if more age would give you any more head retention,maybe slightly higher carb level but not head retention.My 2 Cents....

Sparta,Shiz your close.Look up NJHOPZ we meet in Hackettstown
Sept 2 is our next meeting,Swing by if you can,details are in our forum.
website link in my signature.Keep smiling,sounds like you have a good grasp on the process already.

Jay
(brewslut)

Good day all.
I am new to the site but not to brewing. the head is made in the mash and boil. so I say chil the bad boys down for a week or two and drink um. in the mean time get a new kit and do a secondary fementation before bottleing. go on to the next batch and take notes. You had no problems just a chance to learn.

Back