Announcing the release of 'Mash made Easy' version 9.50

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Announcing the release of 'Mash made Easy' version 9.50 in both the USA and Metric formats.

Changes include:

1) Ended the formerly ongoing experiment of attempting to conform Kolbach's observed calcium and magnesium mineral induced downward pH shift within the mash to Taylor's (and visa-versa). Discovered that in the end the difference appears to more closely be one of buffering factor differences between typical German Pilsner malts and typical UK Pale malts. The downward shift due to calcium and/or magnesium itself is highly controversial as to its magnitude within the mash, and the Kolbach Multiplier suffices to allow for compensation spanning most all of the current thinking here. At a value of 1 (the default) it follows Kolbach directly and fully. At a value of 0.5 it mirrors the suggestions of AJ deLange. Or set it fractionally anywhere from 0.25 to 1.00 to help match MME to your local process and its measured and observed mineral induced pH shift.

2) The above removal of the Kolbach/Taylor compensator greatly simplified the means to incorporate the addition of Ca(OH)2 as an optional means to raise pH (in addition to Baking Soda). This allowed for the removal of the complex and cumbersome Ca(OH)2 adjuster I had previously added when I attempted to merge Kolbach and Taylor, thus neatening and simplifying the main pages looks and end user functionality.

As always, Mash Made Easy is both free and complete, and can be downloaded from my website address link as seen in orange below.

Cool .... Any chance you could make this compatible with open office calc? I can run it under google sheets but OOCalc has problems with some of the cells showing #name?

Cool .... Any chance you could make this compatible with open office calc? I can run it under google sheets but OOCalc has problems with some of the cells showing #name?

MME has never to my knowledge worked under Open Office, but I develop it in LibreOffice Calc. After they forked off of Open Office, LibreOffice has grown far larger than Open Office, and it is much better developed and maintained and is completely free. I would suggest that you simply download and install LibreOffice 6.45, or their new stable release of version 7.0. The problem is likely the case that my coding taps into functions available to LibreOffice that are not present within Open Office. MME works fine in Excel, but the same issues arise if versions earlier than Excel 2007 are attempted.

With due apology for a coding error, I discovered that the Metric version of 'Mash Made Easy 9.50' was not picking up manual DI pH entries placed within the manual DI_pH override column. This has been fixed in Metric version 9.51, which is now available for free download on my website. If you never intend to use the manual DI pH override feature, then Metric version 9.50 is fine, but if you ever intend to use this feature, please upgrade to version 9.51. It is probably best that you upgrade to 9.51 regardless.

Note that this problem did not exist for the standard USA version, so it remains unchanged at version 9.50.

Bumped MME up to version 9.55 for both the USA and Metric versions. Changes involve only the 'Kettle pH Made Easy' module found within 'Mash Made Easy'.

Changes:
1) Updates 'Kettle pH Made Easy' to version 1.20. Adds a user modifiable Wort Buffer Multiplier to 'Kettle pH Made Easy'. Also now allows for Kettle pH to be read at any temperature and compensates for this by adjusting your pH reading internally to a calculated nominal room temperature. This permits you to take a quick on the go kettle pH reading at current collected Wort temperature just prior to heating the collected Wort to boiling, whereby pre-boil Wort pH adjustment can be made much more rapidly, avoiding any heat loss leading into the boil step.

Back