Announcing the release of Mash Made Easy version 9.10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Mash Made Easy version 9.10 is now up on my website in both USA and Metric versions.

Changes include:

1) Automates the previously manually adjusted % Kolbach, and attempts to make it better conform to the research done by D.G. Taylor, wherein its mission is to hit Kolbach's predicted downward shift for moderate levels of Ca++ and Mg++, and better reflect Taylor's predicted downward shift for same at higher mineral addition levels.

2) Adds a means to rectify upward pH shift when using Calcium Hydroxide Ca(OH)2, wherein the OH- ion is strongly raising the mash pH simultaneous with the Ca++ component weakly lowering the mash pH. As Mash Made Easy does not know if you will be using Baking Soda or Calcium Hydroxide to raise pH in advance, it initially calculates the automated % Kolbach for Baking Soda. After the calculated quantity is properly entered into the "Mineral Addition" field in the top/right, Mash Made Easy will at that time realize that you have actually chosen to add Ca(OH)2, and whereby it internally makes an initial decent attempt to resolve the % Kolbach for the added Ca++ upon mash pH, it may "after the fact" discover a need to make a minor correction. So for the case where Mash Made Easy is slightly off in its initial internal Ca(OH)2 % Kolbach projection of the final computed mash pH, it subsequently calculates and presents to the end user a small revision quantity to be added or subtracted to its initially calculated Ca(OH)2 quantity. This correction step is necessary because the adding of Ca(OH)2 is a future event until it is actually selected over Baking Soda.

As always, Mash Made Easy is free and complete. Simply download from the website seen below.

Note: I just put up a minor bug fix* for the USA version on my website, so if you had downloaded MME USA version prior to the timestamp on this post please discard and download again. The problem was one of appearance only, and did not impact the Metric version (which did not have the bug). It was so minor that I did not bump up the version number.

*If you happen to see negative numbers in the Ca(OH)2 adjustment quantity field for recipes for which a small quantity of acidification is required, you are seeing the appearance (only) impacting bug, and you need to discard and download again.

I'm confused by the SRM and Lovibond converter. My recipe calls for 'Crystal 40' which means 40 Lovibond to me. The BeerSmith recipe I'm using as a template shows that Crystal 40L (40.0 SRM) indicating that Lovibond and SRM are equivlent, but the converter is telling me that 40L = 53.5 SRM. So do I need to use the converter? Or just enter 40 in the color column on the mash tab?

I have no idea about Beersmith, but 40 Lovibond is 53.4 to 53.5 SRM. Lovibond and SRM are only ballpark equivalent to some extent, so if what you are telling me is accurate, then in my opinion Beersmith should issue an update.

That said, Mash Made Easy is asking for malt/grain/adjunct input in Lovibond, so enter it as 40. The grain entry columns title states "Grains Lovibond Color".

I have no idea about Beersmith, but 40 Lovibond is 53.4 to 53.5 SRM. Lovibond and SRM are only ballpark equivalent to some extent, so if what you are telling me is accurate, then in my opinion Beersmith should issue an update.

Beersmith apparently uses the terms Lovibond and SRM interchangably. You'll see either one in the grain names, but the database (or at least the displayed label) calls it "SRM." And the actual values appear to be Lov values.

Lovibond = (SRM + 0.76)/1.3546

SRM = (Lovibond x 1.3546) - 0.76

There are a multitude of different color conversion formulas from multitudes of different sources, and most of them do not find perfect conversion agreement between them fully across the color spectrum (and some even appear to be way off). The formulas I've listed above seem to give decent results in my opinion. MME formerly used a very similar formula to these, but not exactly these, but now thanks to this inquiry by @twd000, future versions will use the above formulas. As it stands, the current MME color conversions only seem to differ from these formulas by an amount that is quite inconsequential (wherein changes appear after the decimal place and are generally different by a single tenth). All of these myriads of formulas are merely approximations of the wavelength measured truth, but the above listed ones yield spot on matches to a couple of online color conversion calculators I just rapidly checked them against.

Screenshot from 2020-05-02 16-39-25.png

Here's the BeerSmith screenshot that confused me. Now I understand that Lovibond and SRM are most definitely NOT equivalent.

The more I use BeerSmith, the less I like it. I would like to switch over to MME completely, but there are a few features I like from BeerSmith that I would need to port over. Is it possible to get an unlocked version that I can modify for my own purposes?

-Take a 5 gallon recipe @ 70% efficiency and scale to my system efficiency of 8 gallon batch and 75 % efficiency
-Scale the hop additions to match target IBUs are scaling the batch size
-some workflow/personalization options. I would like to combine some MME tabs, and make a printable export to PDF option for printing, with the full recipe on one page

I have no intention of modifying the underlying pH or mineral adjustment equations, and I wouldn't share or export to anyone else. just looking to fine tune it to my own purposes

I think Lovibond for grain color and SRM and EBC (for metric) for beer color.

Exactly. Sadly, the terms and contexts get thrown around interchangeably at times.

Back