angry orchard recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
Hello all,
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but I am looking for something similar to angry orchard. My girlfriend pretty much wont drink anything else, and Ive gotten on a homebrew kick, I and i would like to make something for her that she would actually drink. I havent done a cider, but i really want to experiment. If anyone has a recipe I would love to give it a shot. Thanks all

Unfortunately, commercial cideries are pretty tight lipped about their ingredients and processes. All we know about Angry Orchard for instance is that they use culinary apples from northern Italy and bitter sharps from Normandy France. Not much to go on for making a clone.

But cider is very easy to make. All you need is apple juice, yeast and some nutrients. You can dial in the final result with tannin and/or acids depending on your juice and sweeten or carbonate to whatever level you want. For an AO style you would target a very sweet (1.025-ish) cider and carbonate to about 2.8 volumes. You'd need to keg to get that.

What apple juice do you have available?

I think you may very shortly find that she will be drinking your brew over Angry Orchard. She really likes that swill? Weird...At least it is not Wood Chuck, or Reds.

Ask her what she likes about it, sweet, tart, very apple flavor, not much apple flavor, "its bubbly!" etc, etc.

Cider is first the apple product you start with. Crap juice can not make excellent cider. By the same token, excellent drinking cider can make crap hard cider. You will want to find a pretty tart cider - from a apple farm if you have one close by.

I have some high sugar content apple trees and some tart trees. Last year we pressed apples and filled 6 buckets with fresh cider. I set them to fermenting and after 4 weeks I bottled my hard coder. A month later all of it had gelatinised into a thick glob. Too much pectin.

Is there a certain variety of the angry orchard she prefers? I believe that perfectly drinkable and delicious cider can be made from frozen apple juice, water and yeast. My current batch is a hit with my wife's friends who drink AO.

She drinks just normal angry orchard ..I am very new to cider making, and I am looking for a simple yet good recipe for a sweet cider.

I use a modified version of the Carmel apple cider here on the forum. I use 14-17 cans of frozen apple juice (faj) from local grocer, depending on abv, add 2-3 lbs dark brown sugar, 1 packet red star champagne yeast, then fill 7 gal carboy with H2o from tap and let it sit for 2 weeks. Before I rack it into keg I boil more (2 cups) brown sugar and water with a cinnamon stick. Rack it with the newly made syrup and add 2-4 more cans faj and force carbonate in a 1/4 BBL. Drink it and be happy. Just my take. Your mileage may vary.

I use a modified version of the Carmel apple cider here on the forum. I use 14-17 cans of frozen apple juice (faj) from local grocer, depending on abv, add 2-3 lbs dark brown sugar, 1 packet red star champagne yeast, then fill 7 gal carboy with H2o from tap and let it sit for 2 weeks. Before I rack it into keg I boil more (2 cups) brown sugar and water with a cinnamon stick. Rack it with the newly made syrup and add 2-4 more cans faj and force carbonate in a 1/4 BBL. Drink it and be happy. Just my take. Your mileage may vary.

My wife would probably appreciate the Cinnamon addition. She likes a drink called Angry Balls. Angry Orchard with a shot of Fireball.

Next Cider I try I'll do the Cinnamon stick.
Thanks

dp

Latest posts

Back