Angel Yeast no mash needed yeast + enzymes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerswimmer

Reaction score
Has anyone played with this? Some distillers are starting to use it, it contains enzymes that will convert the starches into sugars during fermentation at nearly 75%+ efficiency. I can barely get over 72%! Basically you add your crushed grains(or rice, sorghum, corn, etc..) into warm water and pitch and that's it. Ferments like normal. I just bought a few packs to play with, hopefully they get here from China before May....

Here's a link to a website I have nothing to do with, but has a decent description:
https://distilleryking.com/collecti...-wine-brewing-production-date-december-1-2018

When mine gets here I'm going to make a simple ale with pale 2-row, and minimum hops. I'll add some hop tea to the ferment to prevent any lacto, then bottle and see what it's like.

My guess is if it's made for distillation, it will make crappy-tasting beer that will probably taste like it was made with bread yeast.
Also, at least ordering from China, you could get a free side order of coronavirus!

Pretty sure you do actually need to heat your grain to gelatinize the starch ... So you're not really saving anything with this.

72% brewhouse efficiency is good.

Also, what @Cavpilot2000 said.

Yeah, no reports on taste yet. It may be only good for distilling. But so far raw grains, rice, and corn ave all fermented without any heating or gelatinizing. I'm just curious and want to see what skipping the mash step would be like, it would shorten my typical brewday by about 85%. It would also be a no-boil.

Yeah, no reports on taste yet. It may be only good for distilling. But so far raw grains, rice, and corn ave all fermented without any heating or gelatinizing. I'm just curious and want to see what skipping the mash step would be like, it would shorten my typical brewday by about 85%. It would also be a no-boil.
I have no doubt you would get a higher quality and less problematic beer by just using malt extract.

Aren't these just Chinese rice yeast balls () in a new package? They contain oryzae and rhizo, which are the molds that break the starch into sugars for the yeast to ferment. This product also appears to have some enzymes (the same enzymes produced by microorganisms listed) included in the mix.

Also, rice yeast balls are like $1 per pack

Aren't these just Chinese rice yeast balls () in a new package? They contain oryzae and rhizo, which are the molds that break the starch into sugars for the yeast to ferment. This product also appears to have some enzymes (the same enzymes produced by microorganisms listed) included in the mix.

Also, rice yeast balls are like $1 per pack

that sounds like what it is to me.

According to some recent articles and posts, yeast balls are a mix of organisms with a lot of substrate. Pathogens have been found, apparently in trace quantities. Angel rice leaven is a relatively pure preparation of rhizopus oryzae.

Suggested experiment if your family eats a lot of rice: There are new rice cookers that leave the rapidly digested carbs in a reservoir of cooking water. This water is pure yeast food. The method could be duplicated in a homebrewing context as it involves holding the rice at gelatinize temp and then finishing cooking. This could eliminate squeezing and draining. I have used instant baby rice but there is still residue.

My guess is if it's made for distillation, it will make crappy-tasting beer that will probably taste like it was made with bread yeast.
Also, at least ordering from China, you could get a free side order of coronavirus!
so all he has to do is add a wedge of lime .

According to some recent articles and posts, yeast balls are a mix of organisms with a lot of substrate. Pathogens have been found, apparently in trace quantities. Angel rice leaven is a relatively pure preparation of rhizopus oryzae.

This product, which is different from Angel Rice Leaven, doesn't appear to be a pure preparation of rhizo... It clearly states that it contains yeast, aspergillus oryzae and rhizopus (which I'll assume is orzae).

Even Angel Rice leaven contains rice flour, along with the stated rhizo organism. In order to make wine, there must also be yeast in it.

Do you have any references for the pathogen claim. I don't doubt that there may be trace pathogens... but there are trace pathogens on my kitchen countertops.

This product, which is different from Angel Rice Leaven, doesn't appear to be a pure preparation of rhizo... It clearly states that it contains yeast, aspergillus oryzae and rhizopus (which I'll assume is orzae).

Even Angel Rice leaven contains rice flour, along with the stated rhizo organism. In order to make wine, there must also be yeast in it.

Do you have any references for the pathogen claim. I don't doubt that there may be trace pathogens... but there are trace pathogens on my kitchen countertops.

Will look for the reference. Many rice wine makers rely on ambient yeast or whatever is on the starter.

Back