Anceint orange question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I made it following the original recipe, i.e. used the bread yeast. ( I did cut the raisins in half)

It's been sitting for 9 weeks and was so clear I could read newsprint on the other side last night. All the oranges sunk to the bottom. only one grape floating.

Well, I picked it up and carried it down the stairs last night. I had the one gal jub by the little handle and I guess I wasn't extremely gentle and it was cloudy when I put it on the counter ( in anticipation of bottling this morning).

Well, it is still coudy 24 hours later. Is this tipical of bread yeast and this recipe? I don't think that it started to referment since I started with a sg of 1.128.

thanks

I just made the same recipe, actually. It takes a couple days to clear if you've moved it around too much. A week, maybe, if you moved it a lot.

The real problem is the bread yeast. It does not make a very solid lees, so it is very easily stirred. I suggest either be amazingly careful in racking, or rack a few times. That way you can get rid of as much of the sediment as possible, otherwise there will be a lot of sediment in all the bottles.

Latest posts

Back