An odd yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychlopath

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure that this is the right spot for the question.

BUT, I just found some potentially devistating news: My significant other is now allergic to yeast!!

Disaster!

Or not?

From what I'm gathering as I look through here, it appears that the yeast dies off at some point during the process here? Or dies back, at least.

Does this mean she's not going to be able to try my strange brew??

the yeast don't die they just go to sleep. thats why you can bottle carbonate. you can look into filtering your beer then force carbonate it in a keg.

what makes you think your GF is allergic to yeast?

lol. get more info on why she thinks that. i'm betting its just an excuse not to drink yeast because she thinks it will harm her. it wont. it may take a while for her body to adapt to having an increased yeast intake but it wont hurt her.

when brewing wait 3 weeks minimum before bottling. the longer you wait the more yeast will drop out of suspension. many people cold crash their beer to get the yeast out. wait 3 weeks minimum after bottling before drinking. cool the beer for a week before drinking so the yeast will compact on the bottom of the bottle. pour the beer into a glass. while pouring watch for a "yeast slick" on the surface of the beer. as soon as you see it stop pouring. there should be about a quarter of an inch of beer left in the bottom of the bottle.

Yeast can be difficult for many people to digest without GI tract issues, however, I've not heard of an actual allergy. People are quick to jump to conclusions that they are allergic to something when it's more of a tolerance issue. Allergic reactions can be life threatening, particularly if you've already had an allergic reaction in the past.

Well...I guess I never knew about all that. I'll try to find out more.
I was kind of upset that she wouldnt be able to try my first attempt. She's not much of a drinker in the first place, anyhow.

More for me, I suppose. Maybe it's not all bad.

Although...part of what made this exciting to me was the idea of sharing it with someone I like.

It'll be 'round the end of April before I get to even try it, though.

On a fairly unrelated note...she'd purchased the standard Mr. Beer for me. But I found out she sent it back when it go there. She said it looked like someone punted it a few times.

Which leaves me OK to purchase some of the better entery level items mentioned on the site.

:)

Back