An observation / question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I have broken my streak of not posting all winter long with this little tidbit:

I gave the Sam Adams Noble Pils a try, as I am always on the hunt for a good CAP, and I see on the label in the bottom left area is the word "lager". Then on the upper left area it says "Ale in TX".
Is there a law that a certain ABV must be classified an ale in Texas? (I do not know what the ABV is an this beer, and it was what I was looking for when I saw those) but it is the only thing I can think of.

What does that mean?

Thanks! Glad to be back and starting brewing season. I also will be posting pics of my brewhaus that I have been working on in a few weeks. :rockin:

yes...something to do with ABV in texas whether it is considered a "beer" or an "ale"...someone from TX can chime in with the specifics. I dont think our definition of lager v ale is the same from the perspective of the tx govt
-Jefe-

So what did you think of the beer? Did you like it?
I tried it a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised how good it tasted.

So what did you think of the beer? Did you like it?
I tried it a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised how good it tasted.

I thought it was good. A nice break from all of the over hopped beers lightly. I like hops ok, but was really getting burned out. Found SN Pale Ale for the first time 10 years ago and thought it was a really great beer. Over the last several years, it along with just about ever other beer has gotten too hoppy. The new Sam Adams is really a step back about 10 years compared to where IPA's and APA's are now.

I did like it. This is my 4th or 5th six pack of it now, and I find it to be a good hoppy pils, but not over done. I still am looking for a good CAP however...any suggestions?:mug:

I liked it as well... although I'm still hoping for a definitive answer as to why Texas sees fit to call a lager an ale

I liked it as well... although I'm still hoping for a definitive answer as to why Texas sees fit to call a lager an ale

Texas law stipulates that any beverage made with barley, hops, water and yeast, up to 5% ABV, is classified as a beer. Anything above 5% is classified as an ale. Regardless of the yeast type or brewing procedure.

Don't ask me why. It's just their rule.

Latest posts

Back