An itty bitty baby barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
That became a monster.

I had the last of few pounds of a bag of two-row and some time this weekend so I decided to make a 1 gallon batch of Barleywine just for fun. Here's the recipe:

6# two row
.75 oz EKG @ 60
.50 oz EKG @15

Mashed at 155

I was trying BIAB for the first time so I guessed at 60% efficiency. That would have given me an OG of 1.131. I did a little better than that and got 1.149.

I pitched a vial of WLP099, I hope it gets to 1.020-ish but I'm guessing it'll stop in the 30's.

Any suggestions?

Heh,

I made it with what was laying around. I did boil the crap out of it to darken it a bit though.

I just did a SMaSH barleywine with Maris Otter and EKG. I mashed really low (started at 15 and dropped to 148 over an hour). I have heard that mashing low helps fermentability. If it gets stuck in the 1.030s, you might try some alpha amylase. It could help dry it out a couple more points.

You are going to have a huge problem with fermentation. Did you use a huge starter? I think at this point you might want to add water to it since you are looking at yeast not being able to start and inhibiting reproduction even at a gallon. If you are going to go through with this, let it ferment out and get some high gravity yeast or champagne yeast. You are looking at about what... 12 to 14% ABV... the yeast will die long before then, I am not even sure about the high gravity yeast going that high but I know that champagne yeast will hit up to 25% and maybe dry it out a bit.

Oh also, this will take a year to be drinkable.

I just did a SMaSH barleywine with Maris Otter and EKG. I mashed really low (started at 15 and dropped to 148 over an hour). I have heard that mashing low helps fermentability. If it gets stuck in the 1.030s, you might try some alpha amylase. It could help dry it out a couple more points.

I was thinking I may use some amylase if it gets stuck but at these levels of alcohol I don't think sugar complexity is going to be my problem.

You are going to have a huge problem with fermentation. Did you use a huge starter? ...

...Oh also, this will take a year to be drinkable.

No starter, it's only a gallon batch. A starter would be as big as the batch. I used YLP099 so I'm as covered as I'm going to be as far as yeast survivability in alc goes (I think). This one is just or fun and I don't know if it will ever be drinkable but plan to age it well.

I was thinking I may use some amylase if it gets stuck but at these levels of alcohol I don't think sugar complexity is going to be my problem.

It doesn't matter how healthy your yeast is if they can't fit the sugars into their little yeasty mouths.

Ravenshead said:
No starter, it's only a gallon batch. A starter would be as big as the batch. I used YLP099 so I'm as covered as I'm going to be as far as yeast survivability in alc goes (I think). This one is just or fun and I don't know if it will ever be drinkable but plan to age it well.

WLP099 has the potential to reach up to 25%ABV. Mashing low will indeed get more fermentables. I would keep it around 68*F to ferment to help it stay active (due to no starter). If it seems to slow down a bit just give it a gentle swirl to keep them going. I have an DFH 120min clone at 15%ABV in my primary right now. I used a 6L starter of 1056 and then used a 800ml starter of WLP099 when the SG:1.030. I added dextrose in 1# increments to keep them moving. It could have fermented way more I just didn't want it to keep going. Keep an eye on it just to make sure it doesn't get too sluggish since you did under pitch.
Cheers

According to Mr Malty I didn't under-pitch. It's only a 1 gallon batch so should only need a single vial and no starter. I will start to raise the temp over the next couple of days to help dry it out.

I'm sitting at about 1043 now or about 16.7% abv. It tastes great so I think I'll just bottle from here. Should I add a little yeast to help carbonate?

My 120 min clone finished at 14.87%. I used 099 as well. I added I pack of champagne yeast to help kick start the carbonation. It's been 10 days and I have some bubbles and lacing in the glass. I've been told you can get it carbed with just the 099 but takes months. I guess if you can wait then let it go. I'm not that patient plus I got it this far and didn't want to mess anything up by not getting it carbed. I know a guy that had a brew at 20%+ and waited with the 099 and he couldn't get it to carb up. I just liked the insurance blanket.
Cheers.

I bottled it as is. I don't plan on drinking this until Thanksgiving so I'm patient. I'm really surprised at how nice it tastes still. It's going to be great even partially carbed.

Back