Amylase / Alpha-galactosidase and wacky ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmystewart

Reaction score
I've been reading a bit on the forums here about using these two enzymes to convert complex carbohydrates to simple sugars that yeast can then consume. I have a basic understanding of how the temperature and pH of the mash affect how well the specific enzymes function. I'm not entirely clear on how long to mash different ingredients, but I'm sure I can find that info easily enough after I decide exactly what kinds of stuff I'd want to mash into my wort....

One of the first things that jumped into my head after beginning to understand all this was: "Man, I could make a brew out of just about anything that has any sort of complex carbohydrate in it, couldn't I?" And, I'm not talking about adding some sweet potatoes or pumpkin as adjuncts. I'm talking about not using any barley or malt extract at all in the recipe, which I guess would not be a "beer" at all, but you catch my drift right?

Now, if it was a good idea to make a fermented drink out of potatoes or old spaghetti or beans I bet everyone would be doing it. Judging by the apparent lack of legume-based recipes here on HBT, I think it's pretty safe to say that this isn't the greatest idea in the world. On the other hand, I think to myself: surely I'm not the first person to ponder this!

In all my reading I haven't come across anyone explaining why this isn't a good idea. Is there anyone who can tell me why? Or, am I completely missing the mark and everyone is hoarding potatoes and Beano in their basements to make a glorious potato beer while conspiring to keep it secret from me?

Feel free to point and laugh, but please accept my sincere thanks in advance for any input...

:mug:

you can add potatoe's to the mash, it's no different from any other adjunct like rice. It's just going to add alcohol to the brew and no flavor. I'm sure you can make a bud clone with it and call it "Spudweiser"

I would try alpha & beta amylase first before using more aggressive enzymes like Ultra-Ferm or Beano.

Back