Amstel Light Bottle Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troubs

Reaction score
These things are a biznatch to get off! Anyone had any luck with a technique they use for getting those labels off.

I've tried a oxyclean soak for about a week but they are still on there as strong as ever.

If oxiclean didn't get it, you might have to scrub with some steel wool.

Man, if oxiclean can't get the label off, I wouldn't even bother. Remind me not to buy Amstel Light. :drunk:

If it was just a few I wouldn't even bother with it but my co-worker is keeping a steady a steady stream coming in for me and I need the bottles

What sort of concentration are you using with your oxiclean? I generally use about 4-5 scoops in a bathtub full of water, and all my labels either float off, or pull off easily enough after 4-6 hours.

Then again, I haven't tried Amstel Light bottles, so YMMV.

Yep same thing with heinekin bottles they are a PITA to get off. I think its because the labels are a plasticized sticker sheet rather than a glued paper label. I usually just leave them on.

You could try acetone, I haven't tried it for labels myself but it dissolves glue and stuff like that...just wear rubber gloves and be in an area with adequate ventilation (oh and no smoking).

Acetone is an idea. Not sure if I want to put my mouth around that after though. My concentration has been 1 full scoop per 5 gallons.

I just fill up the tub with hot water and bleach, submerge the bottles and wait a coulpe of hours, most fall off and you just have to scrape a little of the glue off but works pretty well and cleans the tub at the same time. Prob the hardest lables I have found to get off are New Castle.

Probably before acetone I'd try just making the oxyclean bath like 5 times as strong and see if that did it

To speed up the process, try to cut a few lines through the middle of the label with a box cutter or utility knife. That way the solvent can get to the middle of the label quicker, i.e. increase your exposed surface area.

Another idea is a spray bottle of paint thinner/mineral spirits. Cut the label and spray a good coating of solvent.

Or go the lazy way and use them as it and way for them to "naturally" fall off. :)

alright, cool. I'll try increasing the concentration of the oxiclean first then go to the acetone in a spray bottle if that doesn't work. Thanks for the input

I just did a bunch of these. Best method is to pry up a corner of each sticker and just peel off (3 on each bottle I think). It either peels all the way off or it rips. If it rips, toss the bottle. If it peels and leaves a bit of residue, you can use goo gone to clean up the residue. Try not to rip your nail off prying the corner up. I was able to use about 75% of the bottles. I'll only use these when someone gives them to mee. Good luck.

alright, cool. I'll try increasing the concentration of the oxiclean first then go to the acetone in a spray bottle if that doesn't work. Thanks for the input

Word of warning here: If you use acetone with a plastic spray bottle, make sure it is rated for chemical use. Acetone in decent concentrations can melt plastic. One of those lessons learned. :)

I just started brewing and had a bunch of Amstel bottles myself. I agree that if you can't get the labels off in one shot, you'll spend way too much time trying to get em all. Not only are the labels a pain, but the bottles are too thin around the neck for the capper to properly work. I found a technique to combat this, but in the future I will look elsewhere for my bottles

My parent's just gave me a whole case of these I think I'm going to try a heat gun ($10 a Harbor Freight). I'll let you know if it's a PITA. Otherwise they're pretty nice bottles.

My brother deposited a couple cases of Amstel/Heineken bottles on my doorstep. I ended up using a hair dryer to loosen up the glue in order to peel the labels off then soaking in Oxyclean to get the glue off.

If I hadn't been desperate for free bottles at the time they would have ended up in the recycling bin.

Edit - you'll probably need a bench capper for those bottles.

A wing capper sometimes doesn't grab the necks of certain bottles. This is likely the case here.

Maybe try a single edge razor blade to clean up some of the leftover label? Personally, I got access to so many bottles, that if I find a brand that doesn't come off easy, I just take back to the store.

Bottles are a dime apiece here and I can collect as many as I want.

I just did a bunch of these. Best method is to pry up a corner of each sticker and just peel off (3 on each bottle I think). It either peels all the way off or it rips. If it rips, toss the bottle. If it peels and leaves a bit of residue, you can use goo gone to clean up the residue. Try not to rip your nail off prying the corner up. I was able to use about 75% of the bottles. I'll only use these when someone gives them to mee. Good luck.

+1 on goof off for those labels. by the way i find heineken bottles take a little more care in capping. i think the top of the bottle is slightly smaller than some.

I used oxy clean to get the labels off, overnight soak.

But I'd not use Amstel bottles with a wing capper. I've only broken 4 bottles capping, and 3/4 were Amstel bottles. It just crushes them.

The more I think about it the more I have the feeling that I am just going to toss these things. Thanks for the help!

Labels were easy as he'll to get off just peeled them as I ran them under hot water. Buuiuuut they don't cap easy and I doubt if they'll be fully carbonated. I'll found out in 3 weeks.

Eh, just run 'em thru the dishwasher on hot wash a couple times. I really don't fool too much with getting *everything* off, since I will re-use them enough, eventually it will all come off in the wash.

I have a bunch of these, also from a coworker. I have the labels peeled off, but the glue doesn't seem to want to come off. Anyone tried PBW soak just for the glue?

Also, I have a handheld capper and am hoping to use this. If anyone has the big red plastic one, you can pull out the little metal insert and turn it around to a larger sized neck holder... my hope is this will not break the bottles.

Won't know until I try.

Klaus

Back