Amount of corn sugar to add for a bottled cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErickJ

Reaction score
I'm going to be bottling tomorrow. How much sugar should I add for exactly 6 gallons of cider? I was told to but drops, but the local brew shop owner told me that it's much easier and safer to buy a couple lbs of corn sugar and to add it to my entire batch, then bottle immediately.

I'd like a mid - high level of carbonation. The FG is 1.004

Yep, 3/4 cup will do the trick. Maybe an eensy bit more if you want higher carbonation. No need to use corn sugar, just use regular white sugar that you would use for baking, cane or beet sugar is just fine. Even turbinado would work but might be more expensive. It's all good.

Okay, thanks guys. I'll used a little over 3/4 of a cup of normal sugar. I'll boil it and let it cool.

You don't even need to let it cool... You're adding about 2 cups of hot liquid to 6 gallons of cold... Just dump the hot priming solution into the bottling bucket and rack the cider onto it. The temperature will equilibrate very quickly.

You don't even need to let it cool... You're adding about 2 cups of hot liquid to 6 gallons of cold... Just dump the hot priming solution into the bottling bucket and rack the cider onto it. The temperature will equilibrate very quickly.

Thanks, I'm very very new to this. This is my first batch.

I didn't know if it would kill my yeast. Haha...

You could also use FAJC. 256 mL would prime your entire 6G batch to app. 2.6 volumes of CO². That's just over a cup, about 8-2/3 fluid ounces (volume, not weight).

I typically use 5 oz (weight) for 5 gallons across the board, so I would personally use 6 oz for 6 gallons, but that's just me ....and yeah, jtratcliff's method of adding the hot sugar solution to the bottling bucket works perfectly well, no need to cool it. Also helps mix it in as it transfers, so less stirring involved when racking is complete....as opposed to racking to bottlin' bucket, adding priming solution and mixing it in. It's a no-brainer :)

Hey....aah....how's it taste and what SG is it at.
If it's sweet it needs more time ...SG should be below 1.005...almost 1.000.
If and when it's that low.... lactos is added to ensure you don't have bottle bombs. 110 g of sugar to 6 gallons will be Very carb,d up and keep it cold to slow yeast/sugar conversion ......if you use plastic bottles at LEAST you can feel when they are too pressurized. Some people will relive pressure with the twist off plastic caps. :mug:

Hey....aah....how's it taste and what SG is it at.
If it's sweet it needs more time ...SG should be below 1.005...almost 1.000.
If and when it's that low.... lactos is added to ensure you don't have bottle bombs. 110 g of sugar to 6 gallons will be Very carb,d up and keep it cold to slow yeast/sugar conversion ......if you use plastic bottles at LEAST you can feel when they are too pressurized. Some people will relive pressure with the twist off plastic caps. :mug:

It tastes sort of nasty . Like a dry wine. I can't even taste the cherry flavor pack that came in the brewers best apple cider kit, with cherry.

Two weeks of fermentation, it's very cloudy. The instructions say not to secondary ferment, but the shop owner told me to do it anyway. I did, it collected about 1/4" of extra sediment. The cider was still cloudy after the two weeks. He sold me a tube of some liquid enzyme, he said it'll clear my cider. It didn't.

The instructions say to wait at least 2 days after adding the cherry flavor to bottle, I waited 4.

The instructions said to add the artificial sweetener pack, "add the entire pack if you want it very sweet", I did, it's not very sweet at all.

The FG is 1.004. 4.7% alch.

I ended up boiling two cups of water and 3/4th cup of white table sugar. The store owner didn't tell me that I could use table sugar, he said that I needed corn sugar.

I'm glad I found this site.

You boil water...2 cups and dissolve half a tea spoon ....stir and cool, covered with tin foil for a bit. Spray the opening with starsan and then pour it in. Stir around two or three times in one direction..let it sit for 24 hours. Good to go.

I poured off a gallon at a time to drink...and kept it in the fridge.
Stored the carbon in the garage (cold)

Purchase at wine making stores or just grocery store baking isle

Last edited:
Back sweetening is when you have dry apple cider and you add(frozen concentrate apple or juice) before you serve it

How do I add gelatin? Where can it be purchased?

Look in the baking section of your supermarket for Knox brand unflavored gelatin. In a sturdy glass, microwave a cup of water just until it reaches a boil, then bring out of the microwave. Add a teaspoon of the gelatin and stir well to dissolve (it takes a couple minutes to all dissolve). Allow to cool for a few minutes then add to your cider. Swirl the fermenter to mix it in. Wait 24 hours. Clear as crystal.

Back