American wheat fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
I brewed a Midwest Boundary Waters Wheat kit 8 days ago. I used White Labs WLP320 and pitched directly into the carboy (no starter) into the wort which was 68*.
I always heard wheat beers ferment pretty quickly but this batch only had a krausen about 1" thick from the beginning and 8 days from pitching it is about the same thickness with my blowoff bubbling about once every 10 seconds. The fermentation was always about 66*-68*.
Of course I'm going to let it keep going as fermentation is obviously still continuing (I havent taken any gravity readings yet though) but I hear of people bottling hefeweizens 10-14 days after pitching. This is my first wheat and first time using liquid yeast.

Is my fermentation going a bit slower than average? This is only my 3rd brew but in my first two batches the krausen had already fallen within a week using dry yeast.

I brewed a Midwest Boundary Waters Wheat kit 8 days ago. I used White Labs WLP320 and pitched directly into the carboy (no starter) into the wort which was 68*.
I always heard wheat beers ferment pretty quickly but this batch only had a krausen about 1" thick from the beginning and 8 days from pitching it is about the same thickness with my blowoff bubbling about once every 10 seconds. The fermentation was always about 66*-68*.
Of course I'm going to let it keep going as fermentation is obviously still continuing (I havent taken any gravity readings yet though) but I hear of people bottling hefeweizens 10-14 days after pitching.

Is my fermentation going a bit slower than average? This is only my 3rd brew but in my first two batches the krausen had already fallen within a week using dry yeast.

Wheats gererally ferment pretty violently, at least for me. I pitched friday in a wheat, and it keeps popping the rubber stopper on the fermenter. I wouldent worry. Take your gravity reading at 14 days and if its done, its done. I'm drinking a belgian witt right now that is 23 days from pitching.

Wheat beers use yeast that are low flocculating, so the krausen will probably stay like that for a little longer. I just made a Belgian wheat and after 12 days there was still a thick krausen that eventually settled.

I let the yeast warm to room temperature about 2.5 hours before pitching. I'll just be patient and let the yeast do their thing and not worry about it. Thanks for the replies.

Day 13 and the gravity is at 1.018 from an OG of 1.046. Krausen has fallen but there are bubbles on top and the blow off is still bubbling about every 20 seconds. Keep being patient and let it ferment another week? FYI, the FG is estimated to be about 1.009-1.013.

kanddr said:
Day 13 and the gravity is at 1.018 from an OG of 1.046. Krausen has fallen but there are bubbles on top and the blow off is still bubbling about every 20 seconds. Keep being patient and let it ferment another week? FYI, the FG is estimated to be about 1.009-1.013.

Definitely let it sit another few days then check the hydrometer and then check it again a few days after. I made the mistake of bottling my last batch, a Belgian wheat, after only 17 days even though I thought I had consistent hydrometer readings. Two bottle bombs later, I wish I waited another week.

Good to know you had a wheat that probably needed 3 full weeks too. I'll let it sit another week and try to be patient.
On a positive note, the sample tasted excellent even though it was still a bit sweet and had an awesome golden/orange color. Cant wait.

I know this needs more fermentation time, I just wasnt sure if I should do anything to help the yeast along like adding some yeast energizer or rousing the yeast by swirling the carboy.

Back