American Wheat Beer American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thunderworm, I don't have access to any Kolsch yeasts where I live, and have the following options. Care to share your experience / opinion on the following yeasts? This will be my 3rd brew (previously used US-05 and S-04).

• S-04
  • US-05
  • Safbrew WB-06
  • Safbrew T-58 (looks like it could be interesting, but I've never heard anything about this particular strain
  • Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

My main goal is to make a delicious beer (as opposed to staying true to the beer style guidelines for American wheat, for example).

Thanks

morbster, I would go with the US-05. I haven't tried any of those other yeasts with this recipe, but I know I didn't like the White Labs Hefeweizen IV strain in this. The last three on your list all look like they produce a lot of esters and phenolics.

morbster, I would go with the US-05. I haven't tried any of those other yeasts with this recipe, but I know I didn't like the White Labs Hefeweizen IV strain in this. The last three on your list all look like they produce a lot of esters and phenolics.

Thanks for the reply. US-05 does seem like the best choice for an American wheat.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

Thanks for the reply. US-05 does seem like the best choice for an American wheat.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

I want to brew this beer tomorrow.
I'm also going to bottle a SNPA-like clone in which I had to use 1oz Falconer's flight as a sub for Cascade at 30mins. I didn't do any dry hopping.
Could I dump this beer on top of the yeast cake or would it be better to take a fresh pack of US-05?
Could be some interesting flavours there :)

Well I brewed this beer yesterday and got an OG of 1.048 and dumped it on top of the yeast cake of the last beer.
It was my first time using Centennial and it smelt a lot like Falconer’s Flight so I’m not too worried about any strange flavors.
My first time doing this and it took off like a rocket; almost as soon as I closed the lid on bucket there was activity in the airlock. So I expect it to be fully fermented within 3 to 4 days.
I’m not sure how long I should wait after that to let it clear up before bottling.
I guess an extra 7 to 10 days? Total time in the primary of about two weeks.
If it works out well I’ll probably use the cake again for an Indian Red ale.

Picking up ingredients on the way home tonight and going to give this a whirl sunday while watching the snow fall. Already thinking of the variations of this recipe. Hopefully this goes well with my new set up, using a pump for the first time. Fingers crossed!

Looks good! Gonna try this and add some cherries in a secondary. Thanks for the post!

The object of life is not to arrive at the grave intact and with a well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, beaten up and broken down, screaming, "holy ****! What a ride!"

Thanks for this recipe. I needed a small "starter batch" for my Wyeast 1007 and this fit the bill perfectly. I just popped open a preview beer after 1 week in the bottle and only 10 days in the fermenter and it's already very drinkable. Can't wait until it's carbed up.

My only changes to the recipe were using Wyeast 1007, and subbing Warrior for the Magnum. Both subs seem to have worked well; I can't wait for it to finish carbing up.

Thanks again!

I brewed this yesterday and got 1.053. Has anyone used WLP029 German Ale/Kolsh? I'm thinking this will add an extra week or 3 before losing the sulfur smells? Thoughts?

Well I brewed this beer yesterday and got an OG of 1.048 and dumped it on top of the yeast cake of the last beer.
It was my first time using Centennial and it smelt a lot like Falconer’s Flight so I’m not too worried about any strange flavors.
My first time doing this and it took off like a rocket; almost as soon as I closed the lid on bucket there was activity in the airlock. So I expect it to be fully fermented within 3 to 4 days.
I’m not sure how long I should wait after that to let it clear up before bottling.
I guess an extra 7 to 10 days? Total time in the primary of about two weeks.
If it works out well I’ll probably use the cake again for an Indian Red ale.

Well I checked this after 5 days and it is down to 1.009 so probably finished.
I’m going to leave it another 5 days to let the yeast clean it up a bit.
The sample tasted very clean and a bit like bread – probably from the wheat.
I didn’t get much taste of hops but hopefully when the yeast settles and it’s carbed the hops will shine through.
Anyone else experienced this?

I'm thinking [WLP029] will add an extra week or 3 before losing the sulfur smells? Thoughts?
For me, WLP029 has needed 3 weeks in the primary for the sulfur to dissipate. I ferment my Kolsch a bit colder though, at 58 degrees, so I'm sure that probably adds to the time needed.

I saw this recipe and was inspired by a recent trip to Hawaii to make this a pineapple wheat. 5 days in the bottle and it is amazing! This will be an excellent summer beer. I used mangrove jacks M20 Bavarian (yeah, I know, not technically an American Wheat but had to try it) yeast as a substitute. O.G. 1.056, FG 1.012. I added 18 oz pineapple juice in the boil. Moved to secondary after 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed this the past weekend and it went great! I did BIAB so I forewent the rice hulls and I used Munich Wheat Beer Yeast in place of the Kolsch. I tossed 1oz of coriander and some orange peel in a hop sock for the end of the boil just to add some excitement. I'm planning on racking about 1/2 of the batch onto strawberries and we'll see how this plays for a good summertime treat.

Like I earlier wrote I brewed this to the original recipe on a US-05 slurry.
It's 4 days in the bottle now but still not much of a taste of hops. I hope overpitching didn't strip the beer of a lot of it's aroma due to the vigorous fermentation. Not much gas yet so maybe the flavours will develop still. It's my first time using centennial but they smelt very fresh as I used them.
Let's see what I have to report in week or so :)

I brewed this about 2 weeks ago so that I had a nice easy drinking beer for my son's high school graduation party. It was a big hit. We went through the entire 5gal batch in a couple hours.

Brewed on May 9th
Kegged on May 21st
Served on May 24th

Time to re-brew - thanks for the great recipe. It was enjoyed for everyone from hardcore beer snobs to Bud Light drinkers........

Cheers!

Just kegged this the other day OG1.053 FG1.008. we shall see here in a few days!! Can't wait, last brew before moving into a new home. Hoping for a great party beer!

I'm assuming that since this is listed at 19IBU that it's not really supposed to have much present bitterness? Mine came out great but there's a definite bitter bite that really shows up if the beer isn't ultra cold.

I'm assuming that because Centennial is such a high AA hop that it's easy to get too much bittering out of the flavor additions if you end up leaving them in the boil too long or don't chill the wort quick enough.

Still a great beer, I just can't tell if I'm supposed to have such a noticeable bitterness or not.

I brewed this the past weekend and it went great! I did BIAB so I forewent the rice hulls and I used Munich Wheat Beer Yeast in place of the Kolsch. I tossed 1oz of coriander and some orange peel in a hop sock for the end of the boil just to add some excitement. I'm planning on racking about 1/2 of the batch onto strawberries and we'll see how this plays for a good summertime treat.

I bottled this Sunday and it smells great. I lost more water during the bail than I expected, so my abv turned out a little higher than I had planed. For some reason the strawberry (I racked ~3gal onto 4lbs of frozen strawberries) turned out a lot lighter in colour and you can see a pinkish tinge already. I'll post a side by side once I crack some bottles in a few weeks.

I bottled this Sunday and it smells great. I lost more water during the bail than I expected, so my abv turned out a little higher than I had planed. For some reason the strawberry (I racked ~3gal onto 4lbs of frozen strawberries) turned out a lot lighter in colour and you can see a pinkish tinge already. I'll post a side by side once I crack some bottles in a few weeks.

Popped "a few" bottles of this over the weekend it is very drinkable and a great summer beer. 4lbs of strawberries in 3gal was probably a little much and I'd cut back to 3lbs if I made it again. The strawberry is also a little tart, but I'm guessing that will mellow out a bit over time - if any of the batch makes it that long. The strawberry also didn't impart as much of a pink colour as I would have liked, I might consider cheating in the future.

IMG_0980.jpg

Popped "a few" bottles of this over the weekend it is very drinkable and a great summer beer. 4lbs of strawberries in 3gal was probably a little much and I'd cut back to 3lbs if I made it again. The strawberry is also a little tart, but I'm guessing that will mellow out a bit over time - if any of the batch makes it that long. The strawberry also didn't impart as much of a pink colour as I would have liked, I might consider cheating in the future.

I did a strawberry blonde last year, I had to add a little lactose to counter the bitterness of the strawberries/extra fermentation. I am brewing up an 11 gal batch of this beer today and plan to put half of it on raspberries in the secondary, I am planning to do the same thing with the lactose since it worked so well.

I did a strawberry blonde last year, I had to add a little lactose to counter the bitterness of the strawberries/extra fermentation. I am brewing up an 11 gal batch of this beer today and plan to put half of it on raspberries in the secondary, I am planning to do the same thing with the lactose since it worked so well.

How much lactose did you use for what vol? I would definitely see a benefit of adding it in a small quantities.

How much lactose did you use for what vol? I would definitely see a benefit of adding it in a small quantities.

I don't remember exactly how much but I started off small and tasted it as I added it. It wasn't an overnight process for sure but I think adding ANY lactose is going to really help you out.

Hi I wanted to try brewing the American wheat that uses the wyeast kolsch 2565 that placed 2nd. When I entered your specs in my brewing software I came up with this. Does it look close enough?

Og - .050
Fg - .013
Abv - 4.95
Ibu - 13.96

Just kegged this the other day OG1.053 FG1.008. we shall see here in a few days!! Can't wait, last brew before moving into a new home. Hoping for a great party beer!

I brewed this yesterday w/ WL029 as well. I'm curious how yours is doing. Looks like you left it for 3 weeks instead of 9 days to transfer, did that get rid of the sulfur? Did you leave it at 62* the whole time? And how's it tasting? Was it ready to go right after kegging or did you have to give it another few week?

Got a party coming up and I'm trying to be prepared haha. Thanks for any feedback you have!

looks simple and tasty. like the addition of munich as i was thinking to do the same with my next wheat.

I'm very impressed by the sound and looks of this beer and the amazing response it has gotten. I am definitely going to brew this as my next batch!

Is flaked rice the same as rice hulls?

No, they are different. Flaked rice is the actual grain which will add fermentable sugars when mashed. Rice hulls are the chaff (stuff that covers the grain) and are added to a mash to help prevent stuck sparges when dealing with grains that can lead to sticky mashes (like wheat).

So I'm finally going to brew this today. I had a question on the mashing though. I know I'm supposed to use 1.3 quarts water/lb grain but how do I divide that between the strike water and the Sparge water? I have the same grain bill so it's 11lbs.

Brewed this yesterday but had to use American Wheat yeast 1010 because I couldn't find kolsh, any ideas how it'll turn out?

I just made this and it's almost done fermenting. Should I rack it then cold crash it? Or just cold crash it?

Back