American Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samaral

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 5 years now and I found my approach has changed. When I started I would brew a different recipe every time. About 3 year ago I started making my own recipes. That lead my to now brewing 1 style tweaking it until I get it right where I want it. Now I'm on to American Robust porter. Any have a good starting point recipe.
Thanks

I am also zeroing in on a few house ales but also tried 15-20 styles early on. I like the challenge of getting fine tuned with this hobby.

Here's mine, but it's more in the English style. It may give you a starting point.

For 5.25 gal:

8lb Marris Otter
2lb Chocolate 380
1.5lb Crystal 80
2oz EKG at 60 minutes
2oz EKG at 15 minutes
2 pkg Wyeast 1355 Brittish Ale II yeast

I don't have a Robust Porter recipe. I am tweaking a couple of recipes but do not stop doing others just to perfect one. I could not limit myself to one beer for that long. I brew one of the ones that I am tweaking, brew 3 or 4 others then return to tweaking....

92 batches and no two exactly the same yet.

I don't have a Robust Porter recipe. I am tweaking a couple of recipes but do not stop doing others just to perfect one. I could not limit myself to one beer for that long. I brew one of the ones that I am tweaking, brew 3 or 4 others then return to tweaking....

92 batches and no two exactly the same yet.

I don't only brew that 1 recipe. I have a 5 tap system. So I work on that 1 recipe and brew others.

I don't only brew that 1 recipe. I have a 5 tap system. So I work on that 1 recipe and brew others.

:mug:

It sounded like you stopped all others, concentrated on one recipe until perfected then move to another. In another thread someone said that is what they do. So limiting....

I've started putting 1 together
12 lbs 2 row
1lb Munich
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz c 40
4 oz black patent
1/2 oz Columbus @60
1 Columbus @ 30
1 oz cenntenel @10
Wlp001
Thoughts?

I just made one yesterday, here's what I got:
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1253883?&doid=57cc6fa465cc4

In retrospect I probably used more kilned malt than is necessary for the style to try to emulate Tree House's fantastic Double Shot. I think your grainbill is a good one, but I would drop the extra Columbus addition and make the late hops something more earthy (Fuggles, EKG, or any noble hop cultivar). That and don't use the Chico strain -- it will dry things out too much. I would opt for WLP007 / WY1098 instead, which tends to offer a fuller mouthfeel for malty brews. And mash high...155-157 is a good range.

Looks like a good start, but I would swap out the last hops for something else - I think the grapefruit flavor from centennial would clash. I like EKG and Willamette in porters.

I just made one yesterday, here's what I got:
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1253883?&doid=57cc6fa465cc4

In retrospect I probably used more kilned malt than is necessary for the style to try to emulate Tree House's fantastic Double Shot. I think your grainbill is a good one, but I would drop the extra Columbus addition and make the late hops something more earthy (Fuggles, EKG, or any noble hop cultivar). That and don't use the Chico strain -- it will dry things out too much. I would opt for WLP007 / WY1098 instead, which tends to offer a fuller mouthfeel for malty brews. And mash high...155-157 is a good range.

Your recipe looks good but I agree about the kilned malts.I think I will switch the late hops out with Willamette in my recipe

Here's mine, but it's more in the English style. It may give you a starting point.

For 5.25 gal:

8lb Marris Otter
2lb Chocolate 380
1.5lb Crystal 80
2oz EKG at 60 minutes
2oz EKG at 15 minutes
2 pkg Wyeast 1355 Brittish Ale II yeast

How Bitter is this with 2 lbs of Chocolate do you mash at a high temp or add a sweetener.:mug:

Back