American Pale Ale hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captgus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice. I typically brew Belgian inspired ales and Pilsners but I'm looking to brew a pale ale for an upcoming fantasy baseball auction being held in Las Vegas. I have this habit of needing a few ounces of something, but buying in bulk and the result is that I have lots of left over hops sitting in one of my freezers. Could i get some help on some combinations of the following that would work well in an American Pale Ale? Thanks!

CTZ
Summit
Meridian
Sterling
Nelson Sauvin
Galaxy
Cascade
Galena
Mandarina Bavaria
Azacca
Citra
Simcoe
Falconer's Flight
Apollo
Ekuanot (never used before)

Bitter with CTZ and and late addition of galaxy, citra, and nelson. Dry hop the same, I bet that would taste good.

One of my favorite pale ales was from a friend who used Nelson Sauvin, 3-4 ozs late in tbe boil and an oz dry hopped. Summit would be good for bittering, maybe .5oz at 60 min.

CTZ for bittering, Falconers and Azacca as late additions and dry hop hopping. You'll get some good bitterness with some serious tropical fruit and citrus.

I think it will depend pretty heavily on what your grist looks like, but here are a few of my favorites (generally equal parts, late additions/dry hops):

Cascade/Azacca/Meridian
Galaxy/Citra/Simcoe
Cascade/Galaxy/Simcoe

Cascade and CTZ, with a respectable amount of crystal malt to round it out a little better, like an older style pale ale.

My number 1 choice would be

Apollo, CTZ, Summit, cascade with rye (dank, orange and spice)

I would go

79% base malt
14% Rye malt
7% C60

Ferment with Denny's favorite

other options I might go with

Nelson and Galaxy + cascade optional (tropical fruits/citrus)
Galaxy, citra, azacca (tropical fruits with a little dank)
Simcoe and cascade (piney and citrus)

Sterling and cascade make a great combo in a Pale Ale. Bitter with anything, about .5 oz of each at 15, an once each at FO, and .5 ounce each dry hop. My go to hopping for my pale ale.

I'm looking for some advice. I typically brew Belgian inspired ales and Pilsners but I'm looking to brew a pale ale for an upcoming fantasy baseball auction being held in Las Vegas. I have this habit of needing a few ounces of something, but buying in bulk and the result is that I have lots of left over hops sitting in one of my freezers. Could i get some help on some combinations of the following that would work well in an American Pale Ale? Thanks!

CTZ
Summit
Meridian
Sterling
Nelson Sauvin
Galaxy
Cascade
Galena
Mandarina Bavaria
Azacca
Citra
Simcoe
Falconer's Flight
Apollo
Ekuanot (never used before)

here's the hop schedule for a beer i received 41/50 for.
0.35oz bittering (anything with high AA) @ 60
0.75oz Cascade @10
0.75oz Motueka @10
0.35oz Mosaic @10

1.75oz Mandarina Bavaria @0
0.5 oz Mosaic @0
0.5oz Motueka @0

Dryhop
1.75oz Mandarina Bavaria
0.75oz Mosaic
1oz Motueka

Back